Tail/Brake light wiring for aftermarket light

More
02 Oct 2009 11:12 #325066 by chrispysaki
I just picked up this tail/brake light for a KZ750 cafe project. My harness has three wires - one tail, one brake and one ground - but the light only has two wires - a brake and a tail - so where should I connect the ground wire from the harness?

Thanks,
Chris

Here's a link to the light...

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Model-A-Tail-Lig...%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2009 11:42 #325070 by Johnj
It has two wires, power and ground. There is no brake light function on that light.

Veho vivo - Ago ut veho

More
02 Oct 2009 11:48 #325072 by Twichel04
Replied by Twichel04 on topic Tail/Brake light wiring for aftermarket light
the ebay ad says its for a Ford Model A. the old Model A's did not have the dual function taillight/brake light so as stated above, its just power and ground. if you use a dual filament bulb, and wire the light yourself you could still get it to work.

More
02 Oct 2009 14:00 #325084 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Tail/Brake light wiring for aftermarket light
I asked the seller about it and here's what he said:

"It is a brake light and a tail light. the top light is your brake, the bottom light is your tail. each wire goes to a diffent bulb. I believe there is a green wire and a black wire. The black wire is not ground, it needs to be hooked up. the green wire should be on top, so it should be wired into your brake, and the black wire should be on bottom, so it would be wired into your tail light. It grounds through the housing. You may have to run a seperate ground wire from one of the mounting bolts of the light up to the main portion of your frame depending on what you have it on and how its mounted."

More
02 Oct 2009 14:59 #325088 by MFolks
For general info, the colored wiring for the brake light/running lights on most Kawasaki's is:

RED,running or tail light circuit.
BLUE,(sometimes with a red stripe)the brake light circuit.
BLACK with a YELLOW stripe,the ground circuit.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
02 Oct 2009 17:07 - 02 Oct 2009 17:08 #325102 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Tail/Brake light wiring for aftermarket light
chrispysaki wrote:

"It is a brake light and a tail light. the top light is your brake, the bottom light is your tail. each wire goes to a diffent bulb. I believe there is a green wire and a black wire. The black wire is not ground, it needs to be hooked up. the green wire should be on top, so it should be wired into your brake, and the black wire should be on bottom, so it would be wired into your tail light. It grounds through the housing. You may have to run a seperate ground wire from one of the mounting bolts of the light up to the main portion of your frame depending on what you have it on and how its mounted."

Then you clean a spot on the metal frame and connect a ground wire.

Take the bulb out and make sure it is a dual filament bulb/socket. If not, one of the two wires is a ground.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Oct 2009 17:08 by bountyhunter.

More
02 Oct 2009 18:14 - 02 Oct 2009 18:16 #325120 by Patton
chrispysaki wrote:

If there actually are two separate bulbs in the rear light fixture, the upper bulb could be a single filament brake light bulb, and the lower bulb could be a single filament tail light bulb.

Each bulb would receive battery positive voltage from its own separate wire to a single metal center-spot on the end of the bulb base.

The brass part of the bulb surrounding the glass would ground to the bike frame via the bulb socket.

Dual filament bulb has two spots on the end of the bulb base, being one for the brighter brake light filament, and another for the tail light filament.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Oct 2009 18:16 by Patton.

More
02 Oct 2009 19:36 #325137 by chrispysaki
Replied by chrispysaki on topic Tail/Brake light wiring for aftermarket light
Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but does that mean that I shouldn't ground the mounting bolt to the ground wire in the harness?

More
02 Oct 2009 20:03 - 02 Oct 2009 20:05 #325145 by Patton
chrispysaki wrote:

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but does that mean that I shouldn't ground the mounting bolt to the ground wire in the harness?

If the design of the rear light fixture, when attached to the bike, provides a ground connection between the bike frame and the bulb sockets, such ground connection will equate to battery negative, in which event the harness ground wire won't be needed.

Then all that's otherwise needed is a battery positive feed to the single metal center-spot on the end of each bulb base (being the brake light wire feed to the upper bulb, and the tail light wire feed to the lower bulb).

If the design of the rear light fixture, when attached to the bike, does NOT provide a ground connection between the bike frame and the bulb sockets, a ground connection may be fabricated by running a third wire from the fixture to the bike frame or to the harness ground wire. The idea is to provide a ground connection from the bulb sockets to the bike frame or harness ground wire.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Oct 2009 20:05 by Patton.