KZ900 points timing settings/advice/questions

• ArthurGoVroom
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I'd rather ride it than shine it
More
16 Sep 2009 09:58 #321987 by ArthurGoVroom
KZ900 points timing settings/advice/questions was created by ArthurGoVroom
I was wondering if there are some timing specs (both advance degrees and dwell/gap setting) that have been found to work better with the fuel we have now since all the book specs are based on fuel quality from 30 years ago. Everything I've found here goes by the factory spec, except I did see one mention of, "they run best at a dwell angle of 45".

I have a dwell meter calibrated in percent, last time I did the job I set it at 50%, though the bike sounded like it idled better at 60%. What happens if you set the dwell to a higher percentage?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.
-Arthur

1976 KZ900A4, 4-1 header, rear lowering kit, grab bar removed, still shining and painting parts as time permits

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2009 10:24 #321991 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic KZ900 points timing settings/advice/questions
I think i always set mine on 52%. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
16 Sep 2009 11:59 - 16 Sep 2009 12:03 #322001 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ900 points timing settings/advice/questions
ArthurGoVroom wrote:

I have a dwell meter calibrated in percent, last time I did the job I set it at 50%, though the bike sounded like it idled better at 60%. What happens if you set the dwell to a higher percentage?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.
-Arthur

Advancing the timing will always make it idle FASTER and maybe sound better, but running it advanced at idle will make it hard to start. I really think you should use factory specs. My FSM says 51.4% to 55.6% for dwell, not sure about yours. Should run fine on current fuels, can always go up to premium if it pings.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Sep 2009 12:03 by bountyhunter.