HID headlights

More
30 Aug 2009 21:11 #317766 by toadson
HID headlights was created by toadson
I've been looking into installing HID headlights in my vehicles lately, and thought that upgrading my motorcycle would be a good start. My bike currently has a round 7" halogen and it puts out decent light, but I think a 4300k HID bulb would be much brighter.

The first thing I'm wondering about is a housing. First off, I don't know if you can buy one that would mount in a motorcycle headlight bucket. I'm also wondering if you can use a sealed beam and modify it to accept the HID bulb. I don't exactly know how HID bulbs mount in their housings, as I've never seen one in person.

Anyway I'd just like to see if anyone has installed HIDs on their bike, and if so what setup you used. I did a search and found a few threads on the subject, but thought I would create my own thread to try and find more setups.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2009 22:26 - 30 Aug 2009 22:29 #317778 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic HID headlights
Might check the local laws, in some places putting on HID lights is not legal for street use if the vehicle did not come with them. I read that the DOD mandated that cars with the HID lights have to have active leveling systems so that somebody doesn't dump a few hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk and drive around blinding every driver in the world because the lights are pointing up. Our NISSAN has them and they are unbelievably bright.

As for adding them, I believe all you need is the HV ballast supply to power them. Check out how much power they need to run first and see if your bike's alternator will support it. The old stock 7" round lights run about 35W low/55W high power. The high output lights need a lot more.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Aug 2009 22:29 by bountyhunter.

More
30 Aug 2009 23:13 #317790 by Johnj
Replied by Johnj on topic HID headlights
Candlepower Inc have replacement reflectors that use H-4 bulbs.

Veho vivo - Ago ut veho

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
31 Aug 2009 16:48 #318025 by kano
Replied by kano on topic HID headlights
i just installed the led indicators,
the hid duel headlight lights,
i also ordered some rubber boots to help keep out water from getting to the bulbs.
i didn't go for the bi xenon kits as i have a duel headlight so one is high beam one is low beam.

see attached img

as it got dark i was curious to see how my new hid and led lights would look.

ass end!

im pretty happy with the visibility ;)

More
01 Sep 2009 09:05 #318208 by toadson
Replied by toadson on topic HID headlights
kano wrote:

i just installed the led indicators,
the hid duel headlight lights,
i also ordered some rubber boots to help keep out water from getting to the bulbs.
i didn't go for the bi xenon kits as i have a duel headlight so one is high beam one is low beam.

see attached img

as it got dark i was curious to see how my new hid and led lights would look.

ass end!

im pretty happy with the visibility ;)

That's a sharp looking bike. What kind of exhaust do you have on there? I was also thinking about doing LED turn signals, but I'm kind of leary on even doing anything now that I've seen that installing HIDs can be illegal.

79 KZ1000 LTD. Mikuni VM26 w/ accelerator pump. 4 into 1 header. Stock intake setup. GS1100 Swingarm, My swap thread: kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=5&id=210872#210872

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
01 Sep 2009 09:14 #318210 by kano
Replied by kano on topic HID headlights
exhaust was pieced together from a sidewinder and parts i bought on ebay,

AS FOR THE LEGALITY OF RUNNING HID AND LED LIGHTS,
I HAVE NO CLUE SORRY BRO.

BUT IT DIDN'T STOP ME :laugh: