1977 KZ750 Coil Question

More
30 Aug 2009 20:28 #317755 by johnAB
1977 KZ750 Coil Question was created by johnAB
New member here, So thank you all in advance.

I just picked up a new to me KZ750, which was running a bit rough on idle, but WAS running just fine. Anyhow, it fell over on its side during the offload from the van and now it won't start. I'm not getting any spark, and have decided that as long as I'm replacing the spark plug wires and plugs (wires were looking really rough), I'll replace the original coil and do the WG coil mod.

My question is, what resistance is right for ordering new a new coil, am I correct in thinking 3ohm?

On a related but separate note, is there anything else I should trouble shoot that may have been knocked loose or broken from the tip over? I've started going through all the connections for the electrical, but it's a bit of a bird's nest, which makes for slow going. I'll also be replacing the points/condenser, as those were also looking pretty rough. Beyond that, I'll be at a bit of a loss if it still won't start- I find electricity to be a bit of a dark art in my view!

Thanks,

John

1977 KZ750B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2009 22:33 - 30 Aug 2009 22:36 #317782 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1977 KZ750 Coil Question
johnAB wrote:

New member here, So thank you all in advance.

I just picked up a new to me KZ750, which was running a bit rough on idle, but WAS running just fine. Anyhow, it fell over on its side during the offload from the van and now it won't start. I'm not getting any spark, and have decided that as long as I'm replacing the spark plug wires and plugs (wires were looking really rough), I'll replace the original coil and do the WG coil mod.

My question is, what resistance is right for ordering new a new coil, am I correct in thinking 3ohm?

No, it's a four Ohm coil. Z1 Enterprises sells an OEM type replacement four Ohm coil for Kawis. I don't recommend using a 3 Ohm coil.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2857

johnAB wrote:

On a related but separate note, is there anything else I should trouble shoot that may have been knocked loose or broken from the tip over?

Check the kill switch on the handle bars and the lockout switch connected to the clutch lever. Either or both kill the ignition DEAD if the switch is closed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Aug 2009 22:36 by bountyhunter.

More
31 Aug 2009 06:31 #317836 by johnAB
Replied by johnAB on topic 1977 KZ750 Coil Question
Thanks! I've ordered the correct coil, along with some new points/condenser. I'll check the wiring for the kill switch and the clutch when I work on the bike again later this week. Hopefully I'll have her running before this weekend rolls around. I'll be sure to update and let everyone know.

John

1977 KZ750B