Where's the spark?

More
29 Aug 2009 19:04 #317452 by crown_vick
Where's the spark? was created by crown_vick
Damn, just when I think I am done... I finished my cafe racer kz550 restoration, and she's a beauty, but when I went to fire her up, no spark. Before I stuck my carbs on, I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intakes, and she seemed to want to kick over for a second. I mounted my carbs, hooked my lines and saw fuel coming in through my filter, but checked my plugs when she wouldn't start, and no spark. What and how do I check things to rule out? I stuck my test light to my ignition coils, and it lit up at the connections. Could it be the coils, or something else I'm missing, as in igniter, etc.? How do I test these things to rule them out? I have a multimeter, it's just the whole "knowing how to use it" thing gets me. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. It's been a labor of love, and I can't wait to get her rolling!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2009 19:32 #317458 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Where's the spark?
My understanding is that the IC Igniter gives the coils the ground to fire the sparkplugs. Check first the pick up coils(under a CD sized cover on the right side of the engine)They have a four pin conector that goes to the ignition coils and IC Igniter.

If they check good, consider making a simple replacement using off the shelf GM ignition modules:

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

If you don't feel qualified to make this circuit, have a friend who can do it for you. I'd recommend encapsulating the diodes and resistor with RTV compound for moisture and vibration resistance.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Aug 2009 07:19 #317535 by crown_vick
Replied by crown_vick on topic Where's the spark?
THanks for the help! Know the electrical thing leaves me head scratching, so how do I check the pick ups? Is that done at the connectors, and if so, is there a certain multimeter reading I should get?

More
30 Aug 2009 08:25 #317545 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Where's the spark?
Using a multimeter in the resistance mode, measure the resistance from the black wire to the blue wire, and the red wire to the yellow wire, on the four-pin plug with those colors on it. Do this while the plug is disconnected from the igniter.

It should be around 450 to 460 ohms for both readings.
Check the resistance from each wire to ground. There should be no reading (infinite) for those.

How did you check for spark to determine there is no spark?

More
30 Aug 2009 08:39 #317549 by crown_vick
Replied by crown_vick on topic Where's the spark?
I took the plugs out and held to the cylinder head to try to see a spark, I even tried to insert the needle of the test light into the plug wire while turning it over, nothing. When I held the test light to the leads on the coils, they lit up.