kz440 project

More
29 Aug 2009 16:15 #317411 by clutch85
kz440 project was created by clutch85
hello i just recently bought a 1980 kz440 that has been half way modified owner planned on making a bobber which is what i paln to do. Didnt feel right chopping up a good bike so i bought one that has already starting that journey. Anyways the electrical is a mess and i am trying to wire it. I have zero knowledge about anything that has to do with bikes but i wanted to learn so i thought i would do my best to figure it out. My question is how could i bypass the ignition switch. It was missing on the bike and right now i just want to hear the engine run and am wanting to do the bare minimum required to do that. Thank You!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2009 08:30 - 30 Aug 2009 08:40 #317546 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz440 project
clutch85 wrote:

hello i just recently bought a 1980 kz440 that has been half way modified owner planned on making a bobber which is what i paln to do. Didnt feel right chopping up a good bike so i bought one that has already starting that journey. Anyways the electrical is a mess and i am trying to wire it. I have zero knowledge about anything that has to do with bikes but i wanted to learn so i thought i would do my best to figure it out. My question is how could i bypass the ignition switch. It was missing on the bike and right now i just want to hear the engine run and am wanting to do the bare minimum required to do that. Thank You!

Here's a link to some downloadable on-site info, including wiring diagrams, tuning, etc. Click here >> On-Site Info

The ignition coil has two primary terminals, each connected to a small wire.

One such small wire supposedly feeds battery positive voltage to the coil (perhaps a red/yellow wire) when the ignition switch is ON.

A hot wire may be used as a test wire from the positive battery terminal in lieu of or in addition to the described red/yellow wire.

Okay to leave the hot wire connected while engine is running, but should be disconnected when the engine isn't running. Because could burn up the coil if left attached (same as just leaving the ignition switch in the ON position) by feeding continuous voltage into the coil while it isn't being used.

With a properly functioning ignition system, the other small wire repeatedly grounds and ungrounds the coil's primary windings. When grounded, the coil charges. When ungrounded, the coil fires through the plug wires.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 30 Aug 2009 08:40 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.