Wiring an aftermarket tach

More
15 Aug 2009 13:39 #314093 by nelson8708
Wiring an aftermarket tach was created by nelson8708
I searched but, didn't find anything on putting an aftermarket tach on my bike (kz550). I was just wondering since its a waste spark system wont a regular tach from auto zone or something read double the actual rpm since it fires twice per rpm? I was thinking something along these lines...

^sunpro mini tach (2.25" diameter)

1996 yz125 power with 1982 kz550 engine
1989 240sx Turbo weekend warrior
1993 Civic daily beater

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2009 13:46 #314094 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Wiring an aftermarket tach
Check here:http://www.egauges.com/ATM_Tips.asp?TipPage=green_wire.htm The information may help.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Aug 2009 13:46 - 15 Aug 2009 13:48 #314095 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Wiring an aftermarket tach
I would think it would have to be designed for the aplication you want to use it for, Most after market RPM gauges that are universal have a switch on the back for "4"6"8" cylinders. So it would only"fire" half as the "4" due to the coil firing twice for two cylinders or How many Biker Dudes does it take to screw in a spark plug? Depends how much beer you have.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 15 Aug 2009 13:48 by mzandmz.

More
15 Aug 2009 14:23 - 15 Aug 2009 14:24 #314098 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Wiring an aftermarket tach
nelson8708 wrote:

I searched but, didn't find anything on putting an aftermarket tach on my bike (kz550). I was just wondering since its a waste spark system wont a regular tach from auto zone or something read double the actual rpm since it fires twice per rpm? I was thinking something along these lines...

In the old days when we raced covered wagons, aftermarket tachs had a selector on the back for setting number of cylinders and that could adjust it.

A four hole engine double firing puts out the same signals as a regular eight cylinder engine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 Aug 2009 14:24 by bountyhunter.

More
16 Aug 2009 09:13 - 16 Aug 2009 09:23 #314311 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Wiring an aftermarket tach
nelson8708 wrote:

You are correct that the reading will be off by a factor of two (when set to the 4cyl setting). The Gauge will show the RPM as half of what the motor is actually doing. This is because you would only be connected to one coil and getting half the firings.

To correct for that, you need an adapter to get signals for both coils.

Here is what I use with my Sunpro Minitach.

Those are pretty heavy duty diodes. You can get away with lower amperage diodes, but they have to be high voltage. You want at least 600v diodes. The voltage rating will be PIV or PRV (peak inverse or reverse voltage).

(This adapter won't work with the DYNA S ignition system. That requires a slightly different adapter.)

The biggest problem with those tachs is that they are not made to handle a lot of vibration. They are made ot be mounted inside a car... very different from a motorcycle handle bar in terms of vibration.

They work for awhile, though. I took mine apart and hot-glued the internal parts and that helped. I've got near 10 years on my Sunpro now.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2009 09:23 by loudhvx.