starting problem

More
08 Aug 2009 09:10 #312385 by bobbie13
starting problem was created by bobbie13
my battery is new and fully charged but when i crank it the voltage drops to 7 volts. if i jump start it, then it shows it's charing and will restart immediately. but if i let it sit for a minute i'll have to jump it again. i can't find any wires shorted out, but the wires coming out of the start are pretty warm and have lower voltage. could my starter be the problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2009 10:46 #312410 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic starting problem
You'll have to give us some clue as to which KZ/Kawi your speaking of... Year and Model....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
08 Aug 2009 11:35 #312417 by bobbie13
Replied by bobbie13 on topic starting problem
it's a 1981 csr 650

More
08 Aug 2009 14:36 #312439 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic starting problem
It could be the starter drawing too much current, but the symptoms sound more like a weak battery since the thing will restart after you run it a bit which pumps the battery up some. Not all new batteries are good. Also, jump starting would probably not work if the starter was over drawing since you would get a big voltage drop across the jumper cables.

Only way to tell is measure the starter current with a clip on Ammeter when cranking the engine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Aug 2009 14:38 #312440 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic starting problem
bobbie13 wrote:

i can't find any wires shorted out, but the wires coming out of the start are pretty warm and have lower voltage.

I would check and clean all the high current connections starting at the battery terminals going to the starter and be SURE to check the ground connections to the frame.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Aug 2009 14:43 #312442 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic starting problem
A loose ground connection,some rust or corrosion, and you've got a hard to start bike.Add to the mix a marginal battery with worn down brushes and gummed up bushings on the starter motor and it becomes almost impossible to use the electric starting system.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 Aug 2009 16:44 #312473 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic starting problem
bobbie13 wrote:

my battery is new and fully charged but when i crank it the voltage drops to 7 volts. if i jump start it, then it shows it's charing and will restart immediately. but if i let it sit for a minute i'll have to jump it again. i can't find any wires shorted out, but the wires coming out of the start are pretty warm and have lower voltage. could my starter be the problem?

Would assure fluid levels in battery are correct. Helps to see levels if shine flashlight through from back of battery.

Would also perform specific gravity test (little floating balls) to help verify condition of battery. A load test is probably the best diagnostic of battery condition.

Also heed advice regarding connections, etc.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Aug 2009 07:19 #312651 by bobbie13
Replied by bobbie13 on topic starting problem
thanks for the help. I'll be tinkering with it some today and let you know what i find...thanks again....