no charge ignition coil trouble

More
06 Aug 2009 06:24 #311961 by happyhubby
no charge ignition coil trouble was created by happyhubby
i recently went through my bike and cleaned up the electrical connections, i replaced the coil connectors they were all crudded up. but it was run in a series. meaning the left coil had the positive and neg. switched around. i corrected it and now the bike wont charge. ill ride it for half hour, then just clicks when i try to restart. any suggestions?
thanks

1980 kz550 daily driver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2009 07:25 #311969 by Born Dead 2
Replied by Born Dead 2 on topic no charge ignition coil trouble
Are you getting power to the coils?

More
06 Aug 2009 08:24 #311986 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic no charge ignition coil trouble
happyhubby, the Coils (I think your bike is a 4-cylinder) have no polarity. They work/perform the same whether the (+) Battery lead and the (-) Points/Electronic Ignition control lead are connected one way or the other.

So naturally, I am unclear as to how the bike charging system would be affected. I suspect that you inadvertently changed something in the charging system or your battery happen to be weak and on the way down at the same time.

-1) Check your battery with a hydrometer (cheapest, smallest you can find will do). If bad, be prepared to recharge with a motorcycle charger only or replace.
-2) Only with a good and fully charged battery, check charging voltage from Regulator over Idle to 4000 RPM range. Check against spec in you manual (you have manual right). Be prepared to troubleshoot and or replace components in your changing system.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
06 Aug 2009 10:59 #312022 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic no charge ignition coil trouble
All heavy gauge battery cables must be clean and tight including the often missed BLACK Negative(-)terminal going to the engine mounting bolt.

The RED Positive(+)teminal usually goes to the starter solenoid and from it to the starter motor.

If your bike was running good before the electrical connection cleaning, I'd suspect something was moved or disconnected causing the charging problem.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)