Problem to run bike w/ a shot starter solenoid?

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
03 Aug 2009 08:35 #311151 by Strizzzo
So I believe I have identified one of my electrical issues as a shot starter solenoid and have ordered a replacement from Jeff.

Question is - am i likely to do any damage by riding the bike for some distance between now and when I replace the solenoid?

It seems to run fine when kicked over & I need to ride it from Maine to NY tonight. Looming long trip departure on Thursday night and NYC is the rally point and prep-spot. Assuming I do no grievous wrong by riding it down sans working solenoid, then I can swap it out there tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks for the feedback.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2009 08:51 #311155 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Problem to run bike w/ a shot starter solenoid?
Strizzzo, if by solenoid you mean the relay under the left side cover(on my KZ650-B1) and by shot you mean it does NOT try to start the engine continuously (failed open rather than failed short circuit), then NO you will cause no damage to anything by riding for any length of time. :cheer:

Remember, kick starting is cool. B)

Have a great and safe ride. Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
04 Aug 2009 09:53 #311493 by Strizzzo
Thanks much Bill...appreciate the input. I do love a kicker...can't much imagine having a bike without.

Ran like a top down from Maine to NY last night...not a gremlin or electrical hiccup in sight. Hope the same holds true for the next 2 week's few thousand...

Take car and be well.
-birch

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
04 Aug 2009 12:37 - 04 Aug 2009 12:37 #311517 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Problem to run bike w/ a shot starter solenoid?
Hey Birch, just noticed that you're from Down-East. :cheer:

My wife and I did a lot of SCUBA diving in the Brunswick area in our time. Great area, great people and cool summers down by the shore.

Sounds as if you're going the opposite way to most people for the summer season? :laugh: :laugh:

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 12:37 by bill_wilcox100.

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
04 Aug 2009 13:36 #311530 by Strizzzo
Really? Good diving round there? I've been surfing a good deal but haven't even progressed to the lower portion of the local water column yet. Most of my diving has been west coast...but cold water none-the-less.

It is a damned pleasure living in Vacationland..always a pleasure returning home :P

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME