using single coils in parallel possible?

More
26 Jul 2009 16:42 #309443 by jeffreygp
using single coils in parallel possible? was created by jeffreygp
Hello, Wonder if you could use 2 single coils from single cylinder bikes connected together to fire 1-4 or 2-3 on a KZ1000? I have a bunch of coils from single cylinder breaker point mcycles and would really appreciate any input if this would be possible. Thanks:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2009 17:03 #309449 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic using single coils in parallel possible?
i can't see why it would not work, hardest part I see would be mounting them.
pic is of Wayne Rainey's 1983 superbike. it was dual plugged with four coils.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
26 Jul 2009 17:04 #309450 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic using single coils in parallel possible?
Well I'm sure you could do it, but first and foremost Why bother when there so cheap for the right coils. I got two complete coils with brackets off Ebay for $25. Just bolt EM on and ride. Other wise you are doubling the resistance of the primary windings, AMPERAGE load on the electrical circuit. If you have the electronic system the coil resistance was lower than the points system from Ma Kaw. So you might be able to hook it up and make spark, but will it last/ miss fire at RPM/ burn up Ignitor box/ or wiring. You may be able to use another ignition box as MSD makes to supply both coils on one set of cylinders, it makes it a RELAY station so to supply addition B+ to fire the coils.
Still say shop Ebay and run either a good aftermarket twin fire coil set or stock. Good, cheap and reliable.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
26 Jul 2009 22:04 - 26 Jul 2009 22:05 #309521 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic using single coils in parallel possible?
Z1 sells new OEM equivalent 4 Ohm dual output coils for $36.

Four single coils would double the current load on the wiring and probably pop a fuse.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Jul 2009 22:05 by bountyhunter.

More
26 Jul 2009 22:50 - 26 Jul 2009 22:53 #309527 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic using single coils in parallel possible?
Besides the extra current as Bountyhunter mentioned, there is another problem.

When the points open, the two coils in parallel form a closed circuit. Since one is firing through low-pressure exhaust, and the other is trying to fire through 10:1 compressed air, the exhaust-stroke spark plug will fire at a lower voltage. Once it does that, the primary current of the other coil has a low-voltage path to dissipate current through. This means the energy for the firing cylinder's spark plug is going to dissipate in the spark plug (and coil) of the cylinder on the exhaust stroke.

If you get sparks at all on the compression cylinder, I think they would be weak.

You would need a way to isolate the paths of the two coils. You could use high-voltage/high-current diodes to do it. They would have to be like 1000 piv, 5 amp diodes. You would put one diode in series with each coil.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2009 22:53 by loudhvx.

More
27 Jul 2009 08:34 #309571 by jeffreygp
Replied by jeffreygp on topic using single coils in parallel possible?
Thanks for your inputs. would just like to tinker around and learn. The info from these mods and conversion might be useful someday. would be trying Loudhvx's suggestion. Can I use this coil set up with your GM HEI mod?

More
27 Jul 2009 09:06 #309576 by loudhvx
jeffreygp wrote:

Thanks for your inputs. would just like to tinker around and learn. The info from these mods and conversion might be useful someday. would be trying Loudhvx's suggestion. Can I use this coil set up with your GM HEI mod?

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as the coils are the typical 4 ohm range. To be safe you would use one HEI module per coil, but you could try the two coils in parallel with the diodes too. The resistance will be a little on the low side, so the HEI modules may heat up a little while they limit the current. Due to the current limiter, the coils won't be getting full power if they are in parallel, but it should probably still work fine.

More
27 Jul 2009 12:06 #309636 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic using single coils in parallel possible?
I know with some of the Dyna Ignitions like the Dyna 2000, Dynatek has a 4-coil wiring setup for twin plug heads. This involves putting coils in series. However, each coil needs to be HALF the resistance... Dyna uses two 1.5 ohm coils in series when 2.2 or 3.0 ohm coils are usually used.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
27 Jul 2009 15:23 #309687 by jeffreygp
Replied by jeffreygp on topic using single coils in parallel possible?
I'll be experimenting and post developments if it works out. thanks so much guys. :)

More
28 Jul 2009 07:55 #309830 by loudhvx
Yes, two coils in series should work since breaking the ground connection leaves no complete paths for either primary. As Jeff Saunders said, you have only to consider resistance then.