KZ1000 Electronic Speedometer Repair For Circuit

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2009 16:38 - 25 Jul 2009 20:40 #309284 by Motor Head
:laugh: :woohoo:
Well New to this site but love the old KZ's. I've got two, a 80 550 LTD & a 82 1000 LTD. I do all of my own work on everything.
So my electronic Speedometer on the 1000 was dead, but my Odometer box was fine, thus my speed sensor on the front wheel is OK. So checked the connections on the back of the speedometer, all OK getting a 1-5 volt pulse while turning wheel slowly. B+ and Chassis ground OK. Pulled the meter apart, fount the red and black wires from the gauge movement have no continuity, so I carefully pulled the meter movement apart, the small coil for the electromagnetic movement was burned out. I carefully removed this coil and removed the small wire, then rewound it back on to access the end to re-solder it back to the small post which goes through the clock spring. Not easy and takes some time. Put it back together and then my meter would "peg" right away at key on. So I found that the circuit board had a problem sending full current to the needle's electromagnetic coil, which was why it burned out in the first place.
Now I needed to repair this as well, no replacement IC chip is availible. So I used a common replacement chip that is also a frequency to voltage converter, LM2917N-8.
So here is the circuit for you to build and this is the link to the forum I had posted the work in first, forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=25880
Copy and paste in your browser. You can repair your speedo yourself for around $15-20. But you need some basic electrical skills. These used are going for $150-250 if you can find one.
Good luck if you are game give it a GO!!!!!!!!!!!
AND LET THE "GOOD TIMES ROLL"

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2009 20:40 by Motor Head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Jul 2009 17:10 #309290 by TexasKZ
Welcome to the madness. :silly:
A+ posting. Do I see a calibration adjuster on the right side of that schematic? If so, could a person who used to have a 19" front wheel adjust the speedo to work reasonably well with a 17" wheel???

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2009 17:25 #309292 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1000 Electronic Speedometer Repair For Circuit
Sure it is adjustable, that's part of the reason for having the Trim Pot Resistors.
By the way I hate not being able to fix something so I pursue to the end!!!!!!!!!!!!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...