coil mod confusion

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
10 Jul 2009 19:46 #306064 by 9am53
coil mod confusion was created by 9am53
Hello, I just finished changing my plugs and wires on my 1982 1000 LTD and figured that while I have the tank off I would do the WGCM. I have all the parts for it, just have a dumb question. I asked something similar to this a couple weeks ago when I didn't have the tank off but now I do and actually want to do it so I want to make sure of something. The number 30 and 85 leads are done...I just am getting confused with 86. Here is a quote from the instructions that is getting me into trouble.

"Find the yellow/red wire that had previously been used to power the coils. It comes out of the wiring harness above the valve cover. This wire terminates in a dual outlet female connector. From this connector, voltage connections are made to both ignition coils. Remove these connections and discard them. Solder / shrink wrap a wire coming from the #86 relay pigtail sufficiently long to reach this connector. Install the press-in male connector and plug the connector into the dual outlet connector coming off the wiring harness above the valve cover. This is the relay TRIGGER. Note that the trigger wire is controlled by the motorcycle kill switch which must be in the ON position for the relay to function. "

I found one yellow/red wire coming from the kill switch that is part of a 3 wire connector, not 2. These 3 wires, which are red yellow/red and black, come from the kill switch through the clip which is pictured, then into the wiring harness just above the valve covers.

Would this yellow red wire from the kill switch be the one that goes to 86? what about the red and the black ones...just leave them? I am guessing that these red and yellow/red wired go into the harness, then come out and connect to the + sides on the coils, and by doing the mod I am running the kill switch "trigger" through the relay to turn it on or off, and then 87 runs to the coils bypassing all the rotten wiring, is that right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
10 Jul 2009 19:53 #306068 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic coil mod confusion
sorry, here is where the wires originate at the kill switch:
i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/9am53/101_0269.jpg

and here they are at the clip, from where they go into the harness just above the valve covers
i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll231/9am53/101_0270.jpg

More
10 Jul 2009 20:20 #306081 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic coil mod confusion
On my 650, the red/yellow wire that feeds power to the 2 coils is what I diconnected from the coils, and fed a single wire to lug #86. Then from lug #87 run a wire back to feed the 2 coils, splitting at some point, one wire to feed each coil.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
10 Jul 2009 20:23 #306084 by rstnick
Leave the kill switch wiring intact/as is.
Just deal with the red/yellow coil feed wire/s, then power to the new relay with an inline fuse to lug 30 (or 36) and a new ground wire from the new relay off the last lug (85?).

Rob
CANADA

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
10 Jul 2009 20:30 #306085 by 9am53
rstnick wrote:

On my 650, the red/yellow wire that feeds power to the 2 coils is what I diconnected from the coils, and fed a single wire to lug #86. Then from lug #87 run a wire back to feed the 2 coils, splitting at some point, one wire to feed each coil.

Just to make sure I am not being stupid we are talking about the big ignition coils under the gas tank right? They have a red and black wire attached to each of them...I keep reading "the wire that powers the coils..." is that the red wire that is on the coil?

More
10 Jul 2009 20:37 #306088 by rstnick
Yes.
It is a single wire that has a dual connector so each of the 2 coils under the tank can plug into it. It may just be a red wire on your bike.

Rob
CANADA

2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
10 Jul 2009 20:59 #306093 by 9am53
ok, thats my problem...I don\t have that type of a wire. I only have the ones i the pics...it says in the instructions that the wire comes from the kill switch...

The red wires coming from the coils individually go into the harness, there is no single wire that splits into these 2...herein lies my confusion

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 Jul 2009 06:18 #306143 by 9am53
anyone? what should I do...the way I am thinking now, I should take the red wires that go to the coils, tape one up, and run one to 86...then take the 87 lead and split it to power both coils where I had originally pulled the red wires from. Is this right?

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 Jul 2009 19:09 #306319 by 9am53
bump

More
11 Jul 2009 19:42 #306326 by JR
Replied by JR on topic coil mod confusion
You need to carefully open up the harness and trace the wires to where they all meet up. On mine - The red from the killswitch goes into the harness and joins a red from my ignitor and two reds each one of which goes to each coil. On mine the junction was soldered in yours there may be a connector.

Once you open the harness you should see something like this and hopefully it will all make sense

God luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

More
11 Jul 2009 20:00 #306330 by JR
Replied by JR on topic coil mod confusion
On 2nd thought maybe you can do it without opening the harness. For me it only made sense when I did open it. I Identified all the wires, cut the one from the kill switch, made my connections soldered everything, used heat shrink, and taped up the harness whe finished.

Hope I hav'nt added to the confusion.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 Jul 2009 20:09 #306334 by 9am53
So are the red wires that go to the coils connected to the wire from the kill switch? if they are, could I cut them, tape one up, and run the other to 86? I figure that way I don't need to look very far for the correct wire. thanks for the reply and pic!