Coil Wiring Help!!!!

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
10 Jul 2009 18:48 #306035 by szczupd
Coil Wiring Help!!!! was created by szczupd
okay stupid mistake I pulled the wires going to the right coil by accident and now I have no idea which one goes where now the manual says red is positive and black is negative but its not on the coil. Can anyone tell me hopw thiers is wired I have an 82 kz750 h ltd
Thanks

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle
1982 KZ750H LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2009 18:58 #306046 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Coil Wiring Help!!!!
The coils should have no polarity as they act like transformers to boost the 12 volt pulse to 20000-35000 volts to jump the sparkplug gap. If you're uncertain, wire it the same as the left coil.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• szczupd
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • !!!NEVER BACK DOWN!!!
More
11 Jul 2009 13:36 #306214 by szczupd
Replied by szczupd on topic Coil Wiring Help!!!!
my question is will this cause any damage if I do put the leads on backwards I just tore the motor apart and changed the starter clutch and I will be uber mad if something goes wrong again
Thanks

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle
1982 KZ750H LTD

More
11 Jul 2009 13:58 #306223 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Coil Wiring Help!!!!
I would just clone the other side that you didn't remove.

The way to know if there is a difference: if the wires coming from the body of the coil are the same color, they are interchangeable. If different color, follow the hookup of the other coil. The wires hook to +12V wire (usually will have a red stripe or some kind of red coloring) and to the points wire (blue on mine).

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Jul 2009 16:42 #306278 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Coil Wiring Help!!!!
szczupd wrote:

okay stupid mistake I pulled the wires going to the right coil by accident and now I have no idea which one goes where now the manual says red is positive and black is negative but its not on the coil. Can anyone tell me hopw thiers is wired I have an 82 kz750 h ltd
Thanks

A coil has one wire connected to each primary terminal.

One of these wires furnishes battery+ voltage to the coil when the ignition switch is turned ON.

The other wire is a signal wire which repeatedly connects and disconnects ground.
It comes from points, or electronic ignition pickup coil such as Dyna-S, or an oem igniter.

As MFolks earlier noted, the coil primary has no polarity.

It therefore makes no difference which primary terminal receives the battery+ voltage, so long as the other primary terminal on the same coil is connected to the signal wire.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD