led combo tail light / tturn signals

More
09 Jul 2009 18:16 #305762 by piston85
led combo tail light / tturn signals was created by piston85
I have a 77 kz1000 A-1 and would really like to locate some suppliers for combo tail light/ turn signals to tuck up under the tail section. Also looking for alternatives for front turn signals. Have a good electrical background and would love any advise on installation and what else I may have to purchase to make this work.
Great site thanks for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
10 Jul 2009 06:06 #305845 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic led combo tail light / tturn signals
I also wanted to go all LED. Have a '91 Zephyr 750.

Am not interested in integrated tail light, as I believe in turn signals being farther from the center increase visibility.

I installed two 1157 20 LED towers on the brake light from Autolumination.com. They are run light, brake light, and strobe for 4 secs when brake applied. They are brighter than stock, and much more expensive than incandescent, at $20 each.

If you go for turn signals, of course, you need to change your flasher relay(s) to electronics, as the mechanical ones won't work with LED well. Don't use resistors, they waste energy as heat, just like incandescent bulbs.

The Zephyr has turn signals bulbs at 90 degres. I have not found LED amber lights bright enough in that configuration. Brightest(and expensive) are the 3 watts LEDs but have not found them at 90 degrees, so am still looking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.