Ignition failure opinions - 99 KZ1000P

More
06 Jul 2009 21:33 #304946 by Mike W.
So I'm riding across a bridge on an interstate in the middle of 4th of July traffic with no breakdown lanes for a good mile. As I crossed up into about the 3000 rpm point, my KZP starts to cut in and out... jerky... as the tach swings wildly. I should add, this sucked.

It seemed to be a bit better behaved at lower engine speeds and I limped to a friends house nearby and left it there to tow home later. When I got back with the trailer and started the bike to ride it in, the problem was not occurring. Possible heat issue. I'd say it was the single nicest riding day I've seen in some time... mid-70's and very low humidity.

I guess I gots me an ignition problem. Based on the diagram in the manual, the thing that ties the engine to the tach is a black wire from the tach to the 1/4 coil and the IC Igniter. Before I start swapping ignition and pickup coils, and the IC Igniter, does anyone have a theory on what is most likely?

BTW... exactly where is the IC Igniter. I don't ever recall having seen it during any tear down.

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2009 22:35 #304959 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition failure opinions - 99 KZ1000P
With all the electronics in bikes these days, I don't know how to diagnose an intermittent that is probably thermally triggered (high temp makes it happen). You might want to warm the bike up well and try using a hot air gun aimed at the various possible offenders. If I had to pick a victim, the igniter is the most likely and the pickup sensors. I have had those fail on both my car and my wife's car.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Jul 2009 08:48 #305025 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ignition failure opinions - 99 KZ1000P
What Kawasaki calls a IC Igniter actually give the ignition coils their grounds firing the coils. If you suspect it's going out, a Dyna S from z1 enterprises would be a good replacement along with their ignition coils.

Or if you're good at making electronic circuits or has a friend who can, one of the members here has devised a circuit using off the shelf GM ignition modules:http://www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 Jul 2009 12:37 #305443 by Mike W.
Replied by Mike W. on topic Ignition failure opinions - 99 KZ1000P
bountyhunter wrote:

With all the electronics in bikes these days, I don't know how to diagnose an intermittent that is probably thermally triggered (high temp makes it happen). You might want to warm the bike up well and try using a hot air gun aimed at the various possible offenders. If I had to pick a victim, the igniter is the most likely and the pickup sensors.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to see if I can find a problem with the coils first since they're the easiest:) I really hope this doesn't turn out to be an intermittent. I use to have to track that kind of failure down in computer prototypes as a consultant. Test procedures were not the top way to find those. Thanks again!

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

More
08 Jul 2009 12:39 #305445 by Mike W.
Replied by Mike W. on topic Ignition failure opinions - 99 KZ1000P
MFolks wrote:

What Kawasaki calls a IC Igniter actually give the ignition coils their grounds firing the coils. If you suspect it's going out, a Dyna S from z1 enterprises would be a good replacement along with their ignition coils.

Or if you're good at making electronic circuits or has a friend who can, one of the members here has devised a circuit using off the shelf GM ignition modules:http://www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

I like that guy's approach. $400 cheaper. I'm lucky that I picked up an Igniter off EBay a few years ago for $20... hopefully that works, if that's what I need.

The Dyna looks like a lot of work and expense relative to just popping an OEM back in... what is the advantage of that if I could ask?

Mike

2 x \'99 KZ1000P
96 XR400
99 Beta Rev 3

More
08 Jul 2009 14:16 - 08 Jul 2009 14:19 #305486 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Ignition failure opinions - 99 KZ1000P
From what I read, the Dyna allows for timing programming and puts out a hotter spark than stock ignition.

If you want to "shotgun" the coils out for peace of mind, Z1 sells 4 Ohm OEM replacement coils for about $36 each. Install two and your coils should be good to go, not too expensive.

They will work with a Kawi or Dyna igniter circuit, although the coils typically used with those are a shade lower in impedance (usually three Ohm coils as I recall). A four Ohm coil can be used in a 3 Ohm application no problem.

BTW: old coils certainly do fail, and the symptoms you have are typical: coil gets hot and starts "arcing" through the insulation internally causing the engine to run rough. I know that one from personal experience....:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 14:19 by bountyhunter.