A charging kunundrum

More
01 Jul 2009 16:15 #303673 by Titus142
A charging kunundrum was created by Titus142
Hey there, been reading this site for a while. Great info here I really appreciate it.

I have a 1982 KZ-750 E2. I can NOT get this thing to charge the battery. Here goes:

New voltage reg/rec from z1
ran new wires everywhere to the ignition switch and back.
replaced almost all other connections.
Took apart can cleaned contacts inside ignition switch.
Tried different battery.
Stator shows no open coils and is outputting about 50V.

Still nothing. Someone sent me a flowchart to check the charging system. Folowing that is says its a bad connection from the switched 12V power from the battery through the ignition switch to the RR. I cant find any more wires and connections to replace.

What am I missing? (oh and the fuse is good too. I checked that as well)

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
01 Jul 2009 16:52 #303689 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic A charging kunundrum
Have you put a meter on the battery while at idle and about 4000 RPM if so what was the reading?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
01 Jul 2009 17:04 #303694 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic A charging kunundrum
Kawickrice wrote:

Have you put a meter on the battery while at idle and about 4000 RPM if so what was the reading?

would second that....donor battery known to be good?...you can clean a crappy ign switch all you want...good luck.....keith

More
01 Jul 2009 17:05 #303695 by Titus142
Replied by Titus142 on topic A charging kunundrum
at idle its like 12.3 (unless the battery is going dead then its lower) when reved to 4k it will reach about 12.6.

More
01 Jul 2009 17:12 #303697 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic A charging kunundrum
Titus142 wrote:

at idle its like 12.3 (unless the battery is going dead then its lower) when reved to 4k it will reach about 12.6.

should be 14.5 or so at 4k.....got a good ground on the rr combo from z-1?......donor battery should show 12v across the posts when bike is off....charge batt and let it sit overnite....test it for 12v.....

More
01 Jul 2009 18:43 #303721 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A charging kunundrum
Would also assure good ground connection where negative battery cable attaches to engine.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
01 Jul 2009 18:54 #303727 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A charging kunundrum
Poor grounds is my bet... ;)

Battery current going out, little or none coming back in...
Equates to battery no chargy....

Thus KZ leave you stranded thus you really pissed off...
Equates to you walking, cussing the KZ Gods...

We've all been there, poor/corroded terminations, rust on frame under ground lugs you name it... If you don't have a solid ground to the frame and motor your battery will drain... If you have under rated wire gauge (conductor size) you will not properly charge the battery...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
01 Jul 2009 19:13 #303732 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic A charging kunundrum
I'd imagine on the 750's the alternator wiring harness is similar to the larger 4's in this way:

Three yellow output wires go through a grommet underneath the alternator housing,are gathered with the side stand switch wires,the oil pressure switch wires,and the neutral switch wires in a bundle that runs above and behind the engine sprocket. This bundle runs in a channel as it heads toward the regulator/rectifier electrical plug. To access the wires, the sprocket cover needs to be removed.

There are I believe three bullet connectors for the alternator in this bundle, so one or more may have corrosion or failed.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Jul 2009 19:29 #303742 by Titus142
Ill re check the grounds. I actually swaped out the stator from a parts bike I have. Its readin 50V at the regulator. And the RR warms up as well. So its definately power.

I have a feeling Ill find something with the ground. Ive completely rewired the positive side of the circuit.

More
02 Jul 2009 12:23 #303896 by drkaw
Replied by drkaw on topic A charging kunundrum
I too had charging issues with a KZ 750 E-2. Your battery needs to be fully charged to 12.6 volts to test the electrical system. Use a digital meter and follow the flow chart. I replaced the battery, the RR, the main fuse, the white wires to the ignition switch, added a direct connection from the RR to the positive side of the battery and replaced the connections on the brown wire to the RR and the black ground. Those connections were hot (not warm) to the touch. After all this the battery wouldn't charge. I finally discovered that the front brake light switch was always "on". With that fixed my voltage at the battery went from approximately 12.3 at 4,000 rpm to 14.5. I think you are on the right track to search out a short in one of the grounds.

More
03 Jul 2009 05:45 #304045 by Titus142
Thanks! Good to know someone else was in the same boat. I will check all my grounds again. Then I guess its point to point through the whole system. I diddn't realize that something simple liek a brake light switch could effect the charging system.

Does anyone know of common problem points that I should check first?