Simple short to look out for

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jun 2009 11:24 #303040 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Simple short to look out for was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
Out on a ride Saturday and the bike died. Checked all fuses, ok, checked gas flow, ok.

Riding buddy happened to notice what he thought was "exhaust" coming out from under the back of the engine, when the bike was off!

It was actually "steam" coming from the battery vent tube. Lifted the seat and noticed that the positive lead running from the battery to the solenoid had loosened very slightly, shiffed clockwise 1/2" and the lug had made contact with the battery box.

All resolved in 5 mins and no apparent permanent damage done.

This was partially my own fault as I had replaced the lead a couple of years back, making it 2-3" longer, allowing me some wiggle room when removing the battery. So, when we got home, I shortened it up an inch or so to prevent the problem reoccurring.

BH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2009 12:10 #303053 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Simple short to look out for
Any vibration around high current electrical systems can make for exciting times!! Smoke,sparks,melted wires,burned metal and a good case of uncontrolled arc welding can be had by the simple movement of the Positive battery cable moving against the metal which has a Negative potential.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 Jun 2009 12:57 #303061 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic Simple short to look out for
This is a good reminder for everyone to check there positive posts. As I've been restoring my bike I've been looking specifically for wear points on everything. The rubber booties on my cable / posts were gone. Knowing this to be a potential hazard I had a local Mower repair shop order two of the big ones really made for riding lawn mowers. I trimmed them down and they cover the wire and the post on 5 sides so little chance for shorting and or corrosion from the elements.

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120