Still toying with alternator

More
28 Jun 2009 13:28 #302752 by iambinjieu
Still toying with alternator was created by iambinjieu
Check this out guys and gals,

I have a 3 phase stator and electromagnetic field coil on my 77 KZ 650. Not charging, so I've been trying to get to the root of the problem. After much gnashing of teeth, rewiring stator and coil, and troubleshooting, I discovered the following:
50-60 VAC from wires A-B, B-C, but A-C producing only 12VAC
1.1 OHMS across A-B, B-C, 0.8 across A-B
R/R AC inputs diode check yielded a short across one input
SOOOOO. . . what I did until I can finance replacing stator and R/R was to connect the two good phases to the two good diodes inputs and left the bad leads unconnected. VOILA,
14.47 VDC to the battery @ 4K.

Having a Dyna S ignition draws alot of current, so when I turn on the headlight, voltage drops below 13. Been riding all day without headlights on and bike seems happy. Gonna find rrewinder for the stator and ordering a new R/R.

Any comments, prior like findings or otherwise appreciated,

RICK

77KZ650 w/ Dyna S, mildly chopped
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2009 13:49 #302762 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Still toying with alternator

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Jul 2009 13:51 #307227 by iambinjieu
Replied by iambinjieu on topic Still toying with alternator
MFolks,

I appreciate the info you gave me several weeks ago about stator rewinders. Been too busy looking for gainful employment so I can afford to get the stator worked on. Been riding with the three phase running on only two for a couple weeks now, and haven't had to charge the battery once. I still run without headlights during the day, and stay home at night or at least within a couple miles from the house. You seem to be a man with theight answers. I am not worthy. Thanks again,

RICK

77KZ650 w/ Dyna S, mildly chopped
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v

More
15 Jul 2009 14:00 #307229 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Still toying with alternator
No problem! I enjoy helping riders with electrical problems especially the older Kawasaki's. I also advise at www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/main-lobby/

Another website to visit is at www.wgcarbs.com He has a similar forum for questions and answers.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Jul 2009 19:52 #307283 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Still toying with alternator
iambinjieu wrote:

Check this out guys and gals,

I have a 3 phase stator and electromagnetic field coil on my 77 KZ 650. Not charging, so I've been trying to get to the root of the problem. After much gnashing of teeth, rewiring stator and coil, and troubleshooting, I discovered the following:
50-60 VAC from wires A-B, B-C, but A-C producing only 12VAC
1.1 OHMS across A-B, B-C, 0.8 across A-B
R/R AC inputs diode check yielded a short across one input
SOOOOO. . . what I did until I can finance replacing stator and R/R was to connect the two good phases to the two good diodes inputs and left the bad leads unconnected. VOILA,
14.47 VDC to the battery @ 4K.

Having a Dyna S ignition draws alot of current, so when I turn on the headlight, voltage drops below 13. Been riding all day without headlights on and bike seems happy.

You are running the two good windings and rectifier sets wide open to try to compensate for the lost one. It may survive, depends on how much design margin is built into the system. Maybe not. If you are replacing the rect/reg module anyway, probably doesn't matter.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jul 2009 19:55 #307284 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Still toying with alternator
iambinjieu wrote:

Gonna find rrewinder for the stator

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a used one from a used parts supply? I know a few that specialize in old KZ stuff.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
16 Jul 2009 12:12 #307403 by iambinjieu
Replied by iambinjieu on topic Still toying with alternator
Always looking for ways to save a buck or two. I tend to end up with somebody elses junk when I seek second hand parts, though. Just my luck, I suppose. I'll still check out the used suppliers, just in case I need to replace something. Need to give the old KAW a new coat of paint and maybe a new look while I'm at it. A penny saved is a penny well spent elsewhere. Appreciate the info.
RICK