Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box

• MentalMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
24 Jun 2009 18:35 #301853 by MentalMike
Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box was created by MentalMike
On my new to me 1982 KZ1000J, the 10A fuse in the small black fuse box keeps blowing. Three times it happened while I was sitting at a light and the bike just died and once as I was easing away from a stop barely rolling on the throttle. I borrowed other fuses from the main fuse box to get me going again, but they didn't last long either. It has never happened while on the throttle and the RPMs are up. I have gone through the wiring harness and checked for breaks or exposed wire grounding on the frame and found none. The battery is keeping a full 12v as well. I'm not sure where to continue. Any ideas?

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 GPZ (2)
1985 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
2013 Kawasaki C14 Concours

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 18:56 #301861 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Try this:The Dreaded Intermittent Electrical Problem!

Here is the most basic method I know:

1) Charge your battery if you can.
2) Disconnect the Black lead from the (-) Battery terminal... or Red form the (+) Battery terminal, it does not matter which one.
3) Connect one of the following test setups in series with the Battery terminal and lead:
3.1) A 12 V light bulb,
3.2) A 12 V test light,
3.3) A 12 V test buzzer or,
3.4) A 12 V horn... you get the idea.
4) With the Ignition Switch OFF, go through your harness and wiggle the wires while looking/listening for the test setup to go on/start buzzing.
5) With the Ignition Switch ON, repeat the test except this time the looking/listening for the test setup to go on/stop buzzing.
6) Be prepared to open the Ignition switch and check/test for solder joint failure and or circuit board micro breaks (don't ask how I know this ).
7) Be prepared to pull the wires out of the Head Light to test for failures at or near the grommet.
8) Be prepared to open the harness at or near the Steering Neck for failures. This is where wires tend to exhibit fatigue due to repetitive movement.
9) Be prepared to open the left and right switch gear to search for rust and or broken parts. CAUTION: watch out for fling springs, ball bearings and stuff. Do indoors on White sheet (again don't ask ).
10) Be prepared to follow the heavy gauge wire from the Starter Solenoid (Relay) to the starter for bare ware wire exposure. Especially near bends and grommets.
11) If you can reproduce the fault symptom your are pretty much home free. Be prepare to find and repair/replace any internal wire breaks, insulation break downs, exposed wires, rubber grommet failures, etc. Often, shrink tubing will solve the problem temporarily.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Jun 2009 19:17 #301870 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Not sure about your bike, but the small fuse box on my 81 650 is for accessories: one lead terminates somewhere near there, the other terminates at the headlite bucket.

• MentalMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
26 Jun 2009 07:42 #302198 by MentalMike
Replied by MentalMike on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Thanks for the responses, I'll try tracking the problem down this weekend. I was thinking because the fuse mainly blew when idling while stopped, it would point to a specific source. But I'll update if I find anything.

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD

More
30 Jun 2009 19:10 #303491 by 1978KZ
Replied by 1978KZ on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Just a guess on my part but mine did the same thing when pulling in the clutch or letting it out at a light. The wires were shorting out in the handlebars.

1978 KZ1000 A2, 2008 Honda Ruckus, 2004 Nissan Titan

• MentalMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
12 Jul 2009 16:41 #306542 by MentalMike
Replied by MentalMike on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Well I just wanted to tie up this thread and let those interested know the outcome.

The fuse that kept blowing was the 10A in the accessory fuse box that led to the starter relay. The other end went straight to the main fuse box and nothing ever blew there, so I figured it had to be something tied to the other end and that began with the starter relay.

With the first test, I followed my factory manual and disconnected the starter motor and battery positive leads from the relay and connected my meter to the terminals. I turned the ignition on, pulled the clutch in and hit the starter switch. There was a single click from the relay and the meter stayed at zero. That's what I wanted, so so far so good.

Next I checked for voltage at the relay by connecting my meter to the two pin connector that the relay connects to and followed the same steps above. My meter read the battery voltage but the starter relay didn't click like it should have. Bang - problem found. I ordered a new starter relay from Z1 and installed it last week. Problem solved and no more blown fuses.

If you have a manual then this testing procedure is pretty easy to follow. If you don't have one, then I've basiclly outlined the steps above.

Peace

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD

More
12 Jul 2009 17:04 #306548 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Congrats! Great troubleshooting.

Also, thanks for getting back to everyone... you'll never know how many members you've help out.

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
12 Jul 2009 17:05 #306549 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Dead shorts can be a nightmare sometimes even in the simplest electrical systems. Congrats on your sucess in finding yours. Gets you better in tune with the machine.

More
12 Jul 2009 19:04 #306578 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
Congrats on finding and fixing the problem. This is one more example of why I say the factory manuals are worth their weight in gold. Just think how much money a dealer would have charged to find and fix the problem and how many manuals that would have bought. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 Jul 2009 19:17 #306590 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Keep Blowing 10A in Small Black Fuse Box
good thread...i just blew a fuse riding today....kinda dead give away when the whole curcus goes limp at once....teach me not to have extra fuses in the box...daytime so no big ...switcharoo...and broooom it was a go....rarely happens though...oh well....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife