"fat harness in a little bucket"

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
24 Jun 2009 05:15 #301707 by 9am53
"fat harness in a little bucket" was created by 9am53
SO I took off the ugly ass Shoei fairing from my LTD, and found a light from an old honda, and attached it using some of those "dragbike" brackets from evilBay...how the hell did all those wires originally fit into the bucket??? There is no way I could get them to fit, so they are mostly stuffed behind the bucket, no protection, and nasty looking! Is there usually tsome other containment method that I don;t know about?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 05:31 #301709 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic "fat harness in a little bucket"
It's usually pretty tight but buckets do come in all sizes and shapes. You could have a small bucket. Putting 1 lb of wires in a 3/4 lb bucket. Creative stuffing!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
24 Jun 2009 05:41 #301710 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic "fat harness in a little bucket"
When I was looking at buckets, I couldn't find one from a KZ (not too many around!) but found some nice ones from suzukis, but they were tiny, the Yam's had nice big ones, but this honda was bigger too! I thought it would be no problem! I may have to cut the bottom of the bucket out and try to keep the wires under there...cause there is n way of fitting it "in". If the bike is always covered from the rain, would the bucket actually protect the wires much?

More
24 Jun 2009 09:13 #301762 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic "fat harness in a little bucket"
The many and various electrical connectors are not sealed from the elements, so moisture and dirt get in there corroding the contacts making operation intermittent at best.This would be the first place I'd look if systems did not work after buying an older bike.

The manufacturers did not have any moisture protection in mind other than stuffing the main harness ends somewhere that was some sense of being protected.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Jun 2009 12:53 #301795 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic "fat harness in a little bucket"
MFolks wrote:

The manufacturers did not have any moisture protection in mind other than stuffing the main harness ends somewhere that was some sense of being protected.

I think that is called designed obsolescence. :laugh:

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Jun 2009 06:01 - 30 Jun 2009 06:03 #303315 by 9am53
So the entire birdsnest of wires SHOULD fit into the bucket right...do some of the clips and such stay out? I just cannot see how one could possibly fit them all in. Is there any other elegant way of solving this problem that I don't know of?

Would it be a bad idea to cut out all those bulky clips and solder/heatshrink the connections to reduce the bulk of it all?
Last edit: 30 Jun 2009 06:03 by 9am53.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2009 06:38 #303320 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic "fat harness in a little bucket"
Sounds like a pain the next time you need to work in there to me. Can you put a picture of your headlight dome up so we can see if it looks like the original size? I went through a similar process with a Vetter fairing on my cycle (didn't even have a headlight dome underneath - had to source one), but all the wires fit snugly in mine.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Jun 2009 06:49 #303322 by 9am53
10-4, when I get home tonight if the rain stops I will take some pics. I'll also put up some dimensions. I didn't have any headlight anything, thats why I got a honda light and bucket and some suzuki turn signals...I figure I can reuse the brackets with a bigger bucket if I can find one...

Thanks