Alternator wiring err?

• Rob Cremains
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2009 23:00 #301495 by Rob Cremains
Alternator wiring err? was created by Rob Cremains
Ok, rookie mistake, but I need some help here.
73 z1 900.
Leaky alternator grommet, so I chopped the wiring harness thinking that uder all that insulation and protection from the sun over the years that the red, yellow and green would still be on the wires. I was wrong--one was green, the other two were brown. Even on the right side terminal -electical juction box area, green & brown & brown.
I wired them up how I thought they looked to be, but if I am wrong---what could be the damage?
I there an eaiser way to tell (With a multi-meter, etc) which wire goes where??
Havent started it yet. Dont want to fry something if I dont have to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2009 10:47 #301778 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Alternator wiring err?
It depends on the regulator. Some regulators need the colors in a particular sequence to work correctly. Modern ones do not. The Z1 regulator, according to the manual-scan I have, would want the Pink, Blue, and Yellow in the correct order.

Without knowing the wire colors, there isn't an immediate way to tell on the regulator if it's hooked up correctly unless you have an oscilloscope. But there is a test you can do. If it's hooked up incorrectly, and the alternator is powerful enough, the regulator won't be able to control the voltage totally.

As a test, pull the fuses for the lights and any accesories. Rev the bike and measure the voltage on the battery. If it goes above 15v, it may be wired wrong. Swap any two of the alternator leads and try the test again. The voltage should not go above 15v, and should really stay below about 14.6v.

There are other things, though, that can cause the voltage to go above 14.6v. So if swapping wires doesn't bring the voltage under control, there are other tests that need to be done.

If you have a modern reg/ rec combo unit, it doesn't matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.