Battery charging system "off" on '77 KZ650--help?

• Patton
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
17 Jun 2009 16:59 #299976 by Patton
rmoto wrote:

Battery charging system "off" on '77 KZ650--help? 20 Minutes ago

Hi Everyone,

My bike's never acted up on me so I haven't had occasion to post on this forum, but a while ago, my battery began failing to recharge. I did all of the troubleshooting I could, bought a new battery, etc.--but long story short, I suspect there's something wrong with my charging system.

If I'm right--and I'm not very mechanically-skilled, so I'd need to take the bike to a shop--does anyone know what I'm looking at in terms of repairs, expense, etc? Or can you suggest "intelligent" questions I can ask about any solutions the mechanic proposes?

I'm also wondering, for future reference: for anyone who's got a bike like mine, do you have much difficulty finding parts (any parts)--or is the availability pretty good? I live in the SF Bay Area, if that helps.

Thanks a lot for any information or advice!

If not yet done, it's easy to check charging system by measuring voltage across the battery terminals with battery installed in bike and engine running. Volt meters are a useful and inexpensive toolbox item. Some automotive supply stores such as AutoZone may loan such tools to the public.

Best to first assure fluid levels in battery and charge the battery.

Look for 12+ volts at idle rpm and 14+ volts at 3000~4000 rpm.

If insufficient charge rate, assure good ground connection where negative battery cable attaches to engine.

And assure clean tight connections of both cables at battery terminals.

Re-test.

If insufficient charge rate persists, it's likely the rectifier (or wiring issue into or from the rectifier).

If still has the original rectifier, it's old enough imo to replace anyhow. Would check with Z1E for the part (maybe a combo rec/reg unit).

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.