Starting issues when hot. What do you think?

More
14 Jun 2009 18:19 - 14 Jun 2009 18:20 #299178 by harm
So today i went to a bike show, and on the way, after about a 45 min driving i stopped at mcdonalds for a minute. I go to restart my bike(kz550) and the starter is really slow and working hard. I couldn't get the bike started. With the help of my friend we push started it pretty easily and it ran fine all the way to the show. After the show it started fine cold. I drove back home and shut the bike off and tried to restart the motor and it won't even turn the motor over. I let it sit for about an hour or so, and it started right up.

What do you guys think the problem is? I'm thinkin starter motor.

It hasn't been much of an issue because i mostly use this bike for comuting back and forth to work which is only about 15 minutes. today i rode it about an hour sraight.

Thanks for the input.

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]
Last edit: 14 Jun 2009 18:20 by harm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2009 18:36 #299179 by MFolks
I'd check the valve clearances, tight valves let out compression and make starting more difficult. As metal heats up it expands reducing the clearances. Fresh,properly gapped sparkplugs with the correct heat range helps too. I'd also check the sparkplug ignition leads, and sparkplug caps.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
15 Jun 2009 18:06 #299464 by harm
Today i took the bike to work, in the morning it started fine but when i went to go home the starter turned the motor over for a few seconds and then did nothing, only the solenoid would click. I waited a few seconds and tried it again and then it turned over the motor and it fired up. When i got home i pulled the plugs out and tried to turn the motor over but the solenoid just clicks. I cleaned the connections to the battery and the solenoid. I ran out of time but tommorrow i think i will check the ground wire to the engine.

Thanks for the reply Mfolks but i am confident the valves clearances are ok because i did that only a couple thousand miles ago.

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
19 Jun 2009 13:59 #300651 by harm
I took the starter off and then hooked up a ground and hooked up the positive wire. The only way i could get the starter to turn was by first manually spinning the then it would take off. I took it apart and it is toast inside! Smelled very burnt. So i think i found my problem. Already ordered a re-manufactured one off Ebay.

Can't wait to get it!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]