My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!

More
14 Jun 2009 14:54 #299139 by HerrDeacon
My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts! was created by HerrDeacon
Was out for a run today and noticed that my speedo would not go over 70mph. Then when I got home I noticed that my trip odometer showed I went 162 miles and real odometer showed that I went 800 miles!!!!! In reality I only went about 50 miles. This is the second time I've noticed it happening.

I guess something is up within the gauge. Just wondering if there is much to these internally and if its even worth opening up? Is this a common problem, and if so, is there a common fix?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2009 14:59 #299140 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
You might have to contact these people:http://www.z1enterprises.com/reference/ZResto_home.aspx

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Jun 2009 15:09 #299146 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
HerrDeacon wrote:

Was out for a run today and noticed that my speedo would not go over 70mph.

A spider got inside my speedo about 20 years ago and built a little web right around the 60 mph area. When I went out and rode it on the freeway, the web caught the needle.... and held it for about TWO YEARS.

That web material is really durable, finally let go and started working again.:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Jun 2009 15:11 #299147 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
my guess is theres something stuck inside. theyre not that hard to peel open and check out. polish the faceplate with a good plastic polish while you have it apart. simple tips...a coffee can makes a great holder when working on these. two teaspoons will pry the needle off without breaking it..lever on the screws very carefully because you dont wanna slip here...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
14 Jun 2009 16:12 #299157 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
Thanks guys.

Wondering how a stuck needle would have also made the two odometers go nuts as well? If it was just a stuck needle I wouldn't mind, but now I'll have a hard time determining when to get gas :(

Great link MFolks. I remember seeing that about a year ago and competely forgot about it. The last section on the page states:

Notice the round cylinder directly atop the spring. This is the internal ‘damper". If your gauge has a needle that "wanders",...at speed or RPM, and your cables are good,....this is the culprit. The damper itself holds oil, and cannot be fixed, unless this whole drive unit is replaced with one that works properly.

Wonder if this is the issue with mine. I was planning on getting smaller after market ones anyway, so this may be the final push I need.

More
14 Jun 2009 19:49 #299200 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
MFolks wrote:

You might have to contact these people:http://www.z1enterprises.com/reference/ZResto_home.aspx

I suggest you wait till you hear from me. I had Bob redo my speedo and tach last summer. He got them back to me very quickly, and they looked beautiful, but I only just now got the bike back on the road, and both the speedo and tach are jumping around all over the place, and the speedo doesn't go any higher than 90.

I haven't contacted him about it yet, I'm working through electrical issues first, and i don't think there'll be a problem with him standing behind his work, a guy doesn't make them that beautiful just so they won't work, but I'd still recommend holding off till I get some answers and post them.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
16 Jun 2009 13:03 #299670 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
seanof30306 wrote:

MFolks wrote:

I suggest you wait till you hear from me. I had Bob redo my speedo and tach last summer. He got them back to me very quickly, and they looked beautiful, but I only just now got the bike back on the road, and both the speedo and tach are jumping around all over the place, and the speedo doesn't go any higher than 90.

I haven't contacted him about it yet, I'm working through electrical issues first, and i don't think there'll be a problem with him standing behind his work, a guy doesn't make them that beautiful just so they won't work, but I'd still recommend holding off till I get some answers and post them.

im gonna ask what may seem like a silly question here.. when you got your rebuilt gauges back and installed them on the mount how was the condition of the foam on the mount itself?also the rubber grommets?? if it was junk theres your answer if not press on..never mind

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
16 Jun 2009 13:31 #299675 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
fixer5000 wrote:

im gonna ask what may seem like a silly question here.. when you got your rebuilt gauges back and installed them on the mount how was the condition of the foam on the mount itself?also the rubber grommets?? if it was junk theres your answer if not press on..never mind

Could this have any affect on what I've described with mine? What has your experience been with bad foam and rubber?

More
16 Jun 2009 13:45 #299680 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
None of this makes a whole lot of sense. As far as I know the needle is just driven off a centrifical clutch type drive. The cable spins the assm, the faster it spins the higher the needle. You can have spider webs or whatever and it may cause the needle to be goofed up, but that has nothing to do with the odometer. The odometer is simply a bunch of reduction gears so for each spin of the cable the odometer will increment forward at the applicable pace. So for a speedometer to suddenly read wrong seems very strange.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
16 Jun 2009 20:46 - 16 Jun 2009 20:49 #299790 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic My Speedo/Odometer is Nuts!
fixer5000 wrote:

I don't think so, we inspected the grommets and foam pretty carefully before reinstalling the gauges; I wasn't going to tsake any chances after spending all that money to fix them.

Besides, the bouncing seems more tied to certain speeds and rpms than road conditions. The first time I saw it, I suspected bumps in the road, so I made sure I was on a smooth one. They still did it.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing
Last edit: 16 Jun 2009 20:49 by seanof30306.