Battery Issues

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
13 Jun 2009 23:29 #298969 by clutch
Battery Issues was created by clutch
Ok here's the deal. I went for a ride today and stopped for lunch. When returning to the bike, she took a few tries to start. About 10 miles later (guestimate), I stopped to fill up the gas tank and the battery wouldn't turn her over. Had to have a lady at the next pump jump me.

So, I'm out riding (approx 15 miles), in the hopes that the battery will charge. I stop for a smoke and left the bike running. On my short trip home from there (roughly 3 miles) I noticed that the blinkers did not seem to be working unless the engine was revving high. I got home, turned into the driveway and was backing her into the garage and she died on me.

Here's the strange part...my first thought is that my new dual headlight setup (I think it's a 55/60w H4 setup for each light) was draining the battery, and that the sirius radio on for the whole ride today didn't make anything better. But when I hooked up the battery charger, the green light came right on indicating a fully charged battery. So, I unhooked it, turned the key and pushed the button...nothing...no click, no noise what so ever...just a barely noticeable flicker of the "dash lights".

So...do I need a new battery, or can anyone deduce some other problem? Is the dual headlight setup too much for the little battery???

Thanks guys,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
13 Jun 2009 23:39 #298971 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Battery Issues
Hey clutch, i would try going back to the stock headlight to see if it makes the problem go away. Do you know how old the battery is? Is the water level in between the indicated lines? I know my z1 was doing the same thing you were describing, i went ahead and ordered a sealed gel type battery for it at a place called bikebatts.com.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2009 23:45 #298973 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Battery Issues
oldkaws4ever wrote:

Hey clutch, i would try going back to the stock headlight to see if it makes the problem go away. Do you know how old the battery is? Is the water level in between the indicated lines? I know my z1 was doing the same thing you were describing, i went ahead and ordered a sealed gel type battery for it at a place called bikebatts.com.

Not sure about battery age. It came with the bike when I got it earlier this year. So far I have had no problems, but I am thinking since the charger does not seem to be making things any better (now hours later), that it is most likely the battery.

Is there an advantage, performance/charge/cca/ca wise, to the sealed gel battery over the fillable stock style ones?

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
14 Jun 2009 00:16 #298979 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Battery Issues
Would assure negative battery cable has good clean ground where it attaches to the engine (or frame).

Would charge battery overnight, then check charging system by measuring voltage across battery terminals. At idle rpm look for 12+ volts. At 3000~4000 rpm, look for 14+ volts.

Imo, it's okay to jump from a automobile battery so long as the automobile engine in NOT running.

Symptoms do indicate that battery won't hold a charge. Are fluid levels correct? Has specific gravity been checked (little floating balls test)?

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2009 00:26 #298982 by clutch
Patton wrote:

Would assure negative battery cable has good clean ground where it attaches to the engine (or frame).

Hmmm....

This may very well be the issue. I didn't think much of it earlier, but when I hooked up the jumper cables, I put the negative on the frame ground first. It wouldn't stat, and moved it directly to the neg batt "post", and she started right up. I will go check that right now!!!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2009 22:51 #299298 by clutch
So after checking the ground, which appeared to be fine, I opted for picking up a new battery today since I did not know the age of the old one since it was on the bike when I got it. I brought one home, filled and hooked it up to the charger. I noticed I had flipped the switch at some point from 12v to 6v, which was issue number one. With the new battery charging (not sitting on concrete), I removed the old one and my jaw dropped! The second issue was that two or three of the cells were COMPLETELY DRY! I am amazed my bike even started at all yesterday!

The new battery is completely charged and now installed on the bike. I will be going out for a test drive tomorrow after work, but it already appears to have fixed most of the issues! :-D

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
14 Jun 2009 22:59 #299299 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Battery Issues
cool, glad to hear you found the problem. See, it is always something simple and small, and after you find it you say to your self........WTF was i thinking.....lol. Hope all goes well for ya on your ride after work.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
15 Jun 2009 06:31 - 15 Jun 2009 06:33 #299347 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Battery Issues
One of the main reasons I converted to GEL battery...

Worth the extra $$$ when I'll get another season or two from it... Plus it can handle the AZ heat better...

Glad you have it figured out, now go ride that old girl... B)

And definitely still take your idle and higher rpm voltage (charging) measurements for confirmations...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 15 Jun 2009 06:33 by Old Man Rock.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2009 17:20 #299714 by clutch
Patton wrote:

Would charge battery overnight, then check charging system by measuring voltage across battery terminals. At idle rpm look for 12+ volts. At 3000~4000 rpm, look for 14+ volts.

Ok....looks like there is an issue here. I'm not upset about getting a fresh new battery, but no voltage increase as specified above. I decided to check this after getting home today and realizing the battery cherge is slightly UNDER 12 volts. Now what should I check? The book says that if there is no increase, to check the alternator by removing the engine sprocket cover and testing some wires in the connectors back there, but I noticed a comment on the rectifier info page on the Z1 Enterprises site and it says a faulty rectifier COULD result in not charging, and not just overcharging like the book suggests. I've taken the sprocket cover off before and it is a PITA! Is there a sure fire way to know whether it's the alternator, rectifier or both without removing it?

Thanks,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
16 Jun 2009 17:36 #299722 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Battery Issues
Go to www.electrosport.com They have a trouble shooting page for problems like yours.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jun 2009 22:56 #301910 by clutch
So after reading this post, and a lot of other information on the web about problems with replacing the wrong part, I decided to replace both the alternator/stator and the reg/rect. I got them and installed them yesterday and went for a ride after checking voltages, etc. All seemed well and went for another ride today before work and the bike died on me. It almost seemed as if it had run out of gas the way it went out.

Unfortunately, gas is not the issue. I did however, notice some REALLY bad wires, one of which is the reg/rect to battery wire. I'm thinking some of the old wiring may be the real issue. I am also thinking that maybe the three yellow wires from the stator need to be in a certain order??

Anyway, all help is much appreciated because I absolutely love riding, and hate having problems. The way things have been going, there is not much else to replace other than old wires, the coils and a few other bits and pieces.

Thanks,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
25 Jun 2009 00:16 #301913 by Frazier
Replied by Frazier on topic Battery Issues
The bad wire is almost certainly the problem. The three yellow wires can be in any order. (That is why they are ALL yellow!)