possible cdi box problem

• grizzlyadams
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2009 08:09 #298584 by grizzlyadams
possible cdi box problem was created by grizzlyadams
I'm new to this forum, so any info is good info. Well here is some history about my problem. I have 1981 kz1000j that last year at the middle of the summer under normal connditions it started turning the plugs black and only running on the choke. So this spring I cleaned the carbs and rebuilt them completely new kits and all and replaced the airfilters, I been throw the carbs three times rechecking. I did the upgrade with the power to the coils
with the relay. And it's still doing the same thing, only running with the choke. Sorry about the long thread but I figured all the info would be better. I was wondering if the cdi box could be doing this by miss firing or something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2009 08:55 #298594 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic possible cdi box problem
The box your calling a CDI actually gives the ignition coils their ground creating the spark.I believe Kawasaki calls it a IC Igniter.

If your good a making electrical circuits of has a friend that does, One of the members here has created an substitute ignition circuit using GM ignition modules:http://www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

I'm thinking of doing it if and when my IC Igniter quits on my bike.

Have you checked/replaced the sparkplug caps and sparkplug wires? They heat age and fail. Are the coils in good shape?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Jun 2009 13:53 #298632 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic possible cdi box problem
MFolks wrote:

The box your calling a CDI actually gives the ignition coils their ground creating the spark.I believe Kawasaki calls it a IC Igniter.

I think that's right. I believe (haven't seen the schematic) that the Kaw unit is just a solid state switch (to ground) that replaces the points, so the basic ignition function is unchanged. I think the + side of the coils go to 12V.

I have built and fixed many CDI's, they are wired differently. The +12V line does NOT go to the coil, it goes to the CDI unit. The firing line from the CDI goes to the coil's +12V terminal, but is actually hitting it with higher voltage pulses.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Jun 2009 17:26 #298678 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic possible cdi box problem
grizzlyadams wrote:

...1981 kz1000j...started turning the plugs black and only running on the choke...cleaned the carbs and rebuilt them completely new kits and all and replaced the airfilters, I been throw the carbs three times rechecking. I did the upgrade with the power to the coils with the relay. And it's still doing the same thing, only running with the choke... wondering if the cdi box could be doing this by miss firing or something?

If not already done, would perform compression test and also assure valve clearances being within specs.

Would also use strobe-type timing light to verify correct ignition timing and proper function of advancer.

Would also remove plugs and visually inspect spark quality.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jun 2009 19:56 #298732 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic possible cdi box problem
As mentioned, the Kaw ignitor is not CDI, even though many suppliers call it that. It is in fact just a transistorized replacement for points.

It may be the pickup coils. You can get them on ebay. If it truly is the IC ignitor that is bad, you can try to make one. This is the one I've been using for years. It costs about $35.

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html