Oil Light Stays On--Think it's an electrical issue

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
10 Jun 2009 22:52 #298266 by Skyman
On my '82 M2, I recently swapped the speedometer. Afterwards, the oil light stays on with the engine running. Because of the work I did on the speedo (including connecting/disconnecting wires in the headlight bucket), I'm thinking that most likely the issue is electrical, and not an actual problem with my oil pressure.

Checked my oil level--it's fine.

I checked all the wire connections in the bucket and at the oil switch, and everything looks like it is connected right. I have full continuity on the wire from the sensor to the connector in the headlight bucket.

When I start the engine, I can see the oil light dim as I rev, but it never goes out.

I checked my FSM to see if there was a prescribed method for testing the switch sensor, but there was no information at all, other than the wiring diagram.

Does anyone know how I can test to make sure the sensor is working properly? Any other tests I can run to confirm if the problem is electrical?

If it is a mechanical problem with the oil system, what are the most likely culprits? Blocked pump screen?

I probably should also mention that my bike has an oil cooler (from a KZ1100, if I remember right).

West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2009 23:47 #298273 by Skyman
Update:

After posting, I remembered that I had an extra oil pressure sensor (from when I swapped out the connector to add the oil cooler). So I swapped the sensors, but there was no change. So it is unlikely that the sensor is the problem.

I'm open to suggestions on where to start looking to figure out where the problem is.

Thanks.

West Linn, OR

More
11 Jun 2009 03:36 - 11 Jun 2009 03:39 #298278 by Patton
Is the oil filter clean and fresh and otherwise in good condition?

If doubtful about filter, could remove it and test run engine momentarily without a filter to see whether that makes any difference.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Jun 2009 03:39 by Patton.

More
11 Jun 2009 04:09 - 11 Jun 2009 04:10 #298281 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Oil Light Stays On--Think it's an electrical issue
As you most likely already know, this is a pressure transducer...

Transducer Definition: Converts one form of energy into another, in this case, pressure to an electrical signal.

In the KZ motor, under low pressure conditions, the switch contact is closed thus passing engine case ground (battery ground) up to the instrumentation lamp thus illuminating it. Once the engine case is pressurized the switch opens (no ground being passed) & the lamp goes out under normal operations.

Ok, down & dirty, unplug the sensor electrical connection for testing and start the engine.

Does the lamp still come on?
If so, you have a short to ground somewhere in your harness that is passing (ground) to the oil lamp bulb.

Unfortunately I don't have an electrical schematic for your model or I could get you down closer to the actual conductor to look for.

"I recently swapped the speedometer."
I'd take the instrument panel apart and have a closer look internally... Chances are the oil indicator bulb is receiving a bad connection/partial ground. With the ignition switch on, +12Vdc is passed to the bulb and just sits there waiting for the provided ground through the pressure switch...

Hope this helps, let us know how it works out...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 11 Jun 2009 04:10 by Old Man Rock.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2009 08:26 #298328 by Skyman
Thanks guys.

Patton, the oil filter "should" be okay. I change it fairly regularly--though it has been a few months. I don't put a lot of miles on this bike, however.

OMR, thanks for the info. I'll try your suggestions and see what I find. If that doesn't reveal any answers, I'll start looking at the filter, and for other mechanical problems.

West Linn, OR

More
11 Jun 2009 10:31 #298365 by MFolks
I'd remove the sprocket cover and check the wiring that runs inside it. On the larger 4's the alternator,side stand switch,neutral switch,and oil pressure switch all bundle together and sit in a channel at the back above the engine sprocket. Possibly a loose/dirty connection is causing the light to partially come on.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)