Wonky Turn Signal Circuit

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
05 Jun 2009 05:42 #296463 by Strizzzo
Wonky Turn Signal Circuit was created by Strizzzo
I seem to have botched my wiring a bit &, being at best a novice on the electrics front, thought I'd court some advice. Bike is '78 Kz1000A/

Put that battery back in to test the lights being hooked back up and seem to have some sort of cross mojination. Both the front and rear left are on green wires and the front and rear left on white. The turn indicators blink appropriately when switched but otherwise the front right turn signal is always on, as if as a running light, and VERY brightly. None of the other three are on continuously, only flash when the turn is switched.

It seems there are two issues:

1. Why is the front left on all the time and with such intensity - is it possible it's somehow crossed into the headlight circuit?

2. Shouldn't all four of the indicators be on all the time as running lights?

It's worth noting that the bike also has a hazard light switch that makes all four indicators fast flash. This is not working really either....you hear the fast tick that marks the tempo of the flash, but the indicators barley barely register any light. When the hazard switch is on and you turn a turn signal in one direction it seems to manifest a split personality....a left turn yields the front left and rear right indicator flashing, a right turn has the front right and rear left flashing.

All wires and grounds appear to be correctly matched to my admittedly untrained eye and battery is new/charged. The bike has two flasher units..I believe one is for the standard turn signals (all four) and one is dedicated to the hazard circuit...does this sound right?

As always - any and all advice appreciated.
Thanks.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2009 06:48 #296480 by CSmith
Replied by CSmith on topic Wonky Turn Signal Circuit
Do you have LED turn signals installed??

Your turn signals should not be "steady on" unless your bike ignition is in park.

75 Z1, 1075cc, Dyna S Ignition, Mikuni RS 34mm, Inverted Forks & Mono Rear Shock.
76 KZ900 LTD Stock
80 KZ750 Dyna Ignition, Kerker pipe

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
05 Jun 2009 07:42 #296493 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Wonky Turn Signal Circuit
Nope - not LED...originals. Ok, so that answers one question...the turn signals should nt be steady-on as running lights.

So then how on earth have I managed to get just one of them to be steady on with no turn indicated but then it flashes when the appropriate right hand turn is signaled?

I swear - wiring is some black-magic-voodoo-sh/t to me.

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
05 Jun 2009 09:01 - 05 Jun 2009 09:58 #296506 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Wonky Turn Signal Circuit
Just a thought here....

Normal operations is front/rear blinker combinations will blink the right or left side simulataneously based on turn signal switch activation... Ok...

But you have a sitaution where the a certain (not sure for you wrote both ways where right/left always on) blinker is on steady state...

The key question was asked if LED's... Which you have answered... See these old KZ turn signal relays are also a current sensing device. If there's missing load (current demands) then the blinklers will not blink, just stay in the on state.

For those that have gone the LED configuration, we needed to change the relay out to a more sensitive/auto load sensing relay otherwise no blinky...

Seems to me one of sevral here.... Either your blinker with the no blink state is a different bulb thus not demanding the same load current or you have a burned filament somewhere in the same side combination thus low current deamnd or an open conductor in your combination side blinker set.

And there's of course as you have mentioned, it's just not wired/terminated correctly....

OMR

EDIT: Quick & dirty test...
Swap the left side bulbs (front & rears both) with the right side bulbs... If problem follows then definitely the bulb itself...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 05 Jun 2009 09:58 by Old Man Rock.

More
05 Jun 2009 09:33 #296514 by CSmith
Replied by CSmith on topic Wonky Turn Signal Circuit
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI would double check all the wiring. Make sure all the bulbs have a black with yellow stripe wire and a colored wire going to them.

I think you should have dual filament bulbs in the front signals on this bike. I would make sure that is correct. You could be causing a short!

I added LED lights to my bike and before I switched out the flasher relay my bike would light up the front left and right no matter which side i was indicating. It didn't make sense either.

I got this relay as a replacement. One good thing about it is its not load dependent...if a bulb goes out, it will still flash the others lights as normal.

75 Z1, 1075cc, Dyna S Ignition, Mikuni RS 34mm, Inverted Forks & Mono Rear Shock.
76 KZ900 LTD Stock
80 KZ750 Dyna Ignition, Kerker pipe

• Strizzzo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 Kz1000A
More
11 Jun 2009 10:06 #298357 by Strizzzo
Replied by Strizzzo on topic Wonky Turn Signal Circuit
Dead-on right with the direction....isolated as a dual filament bulb drawing the wrong juice. Replaced and issue resolved.

Many thanks.....I am dannnngerously close to having this beast back on the road.....

78 Kz1075A2
Portland, ME

More
12 Jun 2009 00:01 #298538 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Wonky Turn Signal Circuit
Strizzzo wrote:

Nope - not LED...originals. Ok, so that answers one question...the turn signals should nt be steady-on as running lights.

Front TS lights should have two filaments: the lower intensity one is the running light, and both L/R front should have those on all the time. The higher current filaments are the turn signals. The rears are typically single filament only (turn signal) so no running light in the back except for the single red tail light bulb which shares with brake light.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• kaw74z1
  • User
  • 0 to 60 in 15 minutes.
More
12 Jun 2009 00:06 #298539 by kaw74z1
Replied by kaw74z1 on topic Wonky Turn Signal Circuit
Did you check the Blinker fluid level :laugh:

1974 Z1 with a MKII And a 1105 big bore kit 10.5 to 1 comp. Andrews 2x cams ported head dyna s with green coils V&H sidewinder pipe airshifter 4in.over arm