'82 KZ1000J - Replacement alternator rotor problem

More
02 Jun 2009 20:56 #295920 by The_Raven
Howyadoin,

My bike took an unscheduled flight thanks to a stuck throttle cable during a test ride. This wiped out the left side cover, rotor and stator. We have the new parts in, and the cover and stator are fine, but the rotor doesn't look like the right part. The part number is correct according to the parts fiches, but I'm not sure... Here's a look at the old and new parts:

As you can see, the diameter is different, the magnets are different, and most importantly the collar that goes onto the shaft looks different. Any ideas?

Also, do you really need the factory tool to pull the rotor, or will a case-hardened bolt do the trick?

One last thing... The existing headlight takes a halogen bulb. The new light we ordered and received is a sealed-beam style, but again, the parts fiches say it's the right one. What gives?

Thanks!

-Mark P.
Beverly, MA

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

Widowmaker, 1982 KZ1000J2 @1100cc
Red Scare, 1994 Honda VF750C Magna
I intend to die from living.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2009 21:43 #295925 by Mark Wing
Well it looks different to me too. I'm not familiar with 1000's charging systems but does the part on the outer case go on the inside of the rotor or on the out side. I'm asking because the inner diameter looks close and magnets look like they could be superseded. The sealed beam light is correct, the one with a replaceable bulb is after market.

It must have revved real high, was there any other damage?

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
03 Jun 2009 05:38 #295954 by The_Raven
Hi Mark,

The bike landed and slid right on the alternator cover on that side of the engine, so that along with the rotor and stator took the brunt of the damage. The speedo, the headlight and the left turn signals also took some damage.

The stator mounts on the engine cover, and sits inside the rotor. Apparently the stator does fit within the confines of the new rotor. The major question is whether or not the new rotor will mount properly on the shaft. It's not clear if this is just a redesigned part that was made to be more universal or just the wrong part entirely.

Thanks,
-Mark

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
03 Jun 2009 11:32 #296030 by Kawickrice
The_Raven wrote:

Also, do you really need the factory tool to pull the rotor, or will a case-hardened bolt do the trick?

I am not sure on your motor, but on the 900/1000 motors, you use the big bolt on the upper triple tree, that is the removal tool. It may be the same on yours but am not sure. It would be worth checking into. Good Luck

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
12 Jul 2009 09:56 #306460 by The_Raven
Howyadoin,

Just to follow up, that rotor was the wrong part. We sent that back to the vendor and I managed to find the right one on eBay. We also ordered the factory tool to pull the rotor. The engine fired up yesterday for the first time since the accident!

:woohoo:

Other than a new throttle cable and turn indicator (both en route), that's it for the functional repairs I think... With a little luck, I'll be taking my maiden voyage real soon!

-Mark P.
Salem, MA

More
26 Jul 2012 03:30 #538731 by ThosKiwi
Hello,
I believe the rear wheel axle shaft thread is the same size of the altenator rotor.
We use to use it at a pinch, and tap it carefully with a softfaced hammer to release the rotor from the taper.
Hope this is useful.
Regards
ThosKiwi
p.s. when this (crunched altenator) happened to my friends bike (1981 1000J) it twisted the cranked on the outboard big end throw. A skilled Honda mechanic sorted the crank out with his lead hammers, very reasonably for us and reduced the overall runout, so the footpegs no longer vibrated annoyingly at 4000rpm/60mph, for $100 and a case of a dozen Steinlager.ThosKiwi