Keep blowing out headlights

More
01 Jun 2009 11:03 #295480 by fordtruck
Keep blowing out headlights was created by fordtruck
As I was getting ready to go on a trip I noticed that both beams of my headlight were out on my 77 KZ1000. I replaced it with a GE bulb from Wal-Mart that had identical markings to the one that was in it. I made it less than 100 miles and low beam went out. Made it the rest of the way on high beam. I replaced the headlight with another from Wal-Mart and made it about 200 miles and low beam went out again. I checked voltage at the battery at idle and it was 12.6 and didn't seem to go up much when I brought rpm up to 4k. I unplugged the regulator and plugged it back in and now when I bring rpm up to 4k it slowly starts to come up. It never makes it go 14 volts.

What do think is happening to my headlights? Could my regulator be failing and spiking sometimes?

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 11:08 #295482 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Keep blowing out headlights
Any other bulbs affected? instrument,brake and tail light? turn signals? I'd think if one went others would go too.

I'd remove the headlight and look inside the housing for signs orf wires rubbing and shorting. Also check the fuses and fuse clips for corrosion.The glass tubes fuses can fail or become intermittant.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Jun 2009 11:19 #295483 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Keep blowing out headlights
All other lights are working fine. I've only owned the bike for a little over a year, but the fuse box looks to be a replacement and is in great shape. Also, the headlight socket looks to have been replaced and is in good shape. I tested the first two headlights that went out, and they were bad. This has me stumped. Plus, I'm now out $30 for headlights.

For the money I've put out already, I'm really thinking about using one of the conversion kits that uses an H-4 bulb. It's getting old taking everything apart to replace the headlight.

More
01 Jun 2009 11:39 #295489 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Keep blowing out headlights
For the most part auto headlight bulbs do not last in a motorcycle. I had the same problem way back in the early 80s on the KZ650 and finally gave up on auto headlights and have had no further problem. I'd assume GE headlights are now made in China and probably real skimpy on ruggedness. If you do in fact have a problem, look for loose connections, bad grounds ect around the headlight wiring. This can definatly cause bulbs to fail.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
01 Jun 2009 11:45 #295493 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Keep blowing out headlights
You probably still have to disassemble for an H4. Mine has the conversion kit on it and I have to pull it all apart each time.

One thing to check, do you have the stock rubber headlight mounts? Its been mentioned before if the headlights don't have some kind of rubber mounts that it's possible to vibrate them until they break. Mine have very small rubber mounts and I can make about 700-800 miles before one will let go again.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
01 Jun 2009 11:49 #295495 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Keep blowing out headlights
Check your Battery water level. Make sure your headlight housing is tight and not moving around and loose....Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
01 Jun 2009 13:22 #295505 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Keep blowing out headlights
Russ Jackson wrote:

Check your Battery water level. Make sure your headlight housing is tight and not moving around and loose....Russ

Check your voltage regulator - if you find you are cooking the water out of the battery as Russ suggested you check, that will blow headlights for sure.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
01 Jun 2009 16:21 #295542 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Keep blowing out headlights
KawiConvert wrote:

Its been mentioned before if the headlights don't have some kind of rubber mounts that it's possible to vibrate them until they break. Mine have very small rubber mounts and I can make about 700-800 miles before one will let go again.

700-800 miles between headlights? That would drive me nutz! I haven't replaced a headlight in.....damn I can't remember replacing one! I either got a #1 case of Al Zimer's Syndrome or I got's some sweet lights. You gotta mean 7,000-8,000 miles....right? :huh:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
01 Jun 2009 16:33 #295546 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Keep blowing out headlights
fordtruck wrote:

I checked voltage at the battery at idle and it was 12.6 and didn't seem to go up much when I brought rpm up to 4k. I unplugged the regulator and plugged it back in and now when I bring rpm up to 4k it slowly starts to come up. It never makes it go 14 volts.

That sounds like a bad reg unit, alternator or battery. The batt voltage should rise to about 14V pretty rapidly when the engine is revving above 3k.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
01 Jun 2009 20:22 #295649 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Keep blowing out headlights
I'm putting my money on a vibration issue.
I had the same thing going on with MY 77,ans it WAS the grommets(lack of) at the headlight bucket,where the signals tie in.

I was blowing a headlight every other ride out,and after checking all the electrics,I headed to the headlight bucket and put in extra grommets that I made up...never had a problem since,and it's been 3 or 4 years now.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
01 Jun 2009 22:09 #295668 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic Keep blowing out headlights
Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it! It'll be a couple of days before I can look over the bike, but I will check everything that was suggested.

It does have the rubber grommets on the headlight mount. I do remember seeing them

More
01 Jun 2009 23:56 #295684 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Keep blowing out headlights
Locozuna wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

Its been mentioned before if the headlights don't have some kind of rubber mounts that it's possible to vibrate them until they break. Mine have very small rubber mounts and I can make about 700-800 miles before one will let go again.

700-800 miles between headlights? That would drive me nutz! I haven't replaced a headlight in.....damn I can't remember replacing one! I either got a #1 case of Al Zimer's Syndrome or I got's some sweet lights. You gotta mean 7,000-8,000 miles....right? :huh:

Nope, so far about 800 on average if it blew out today. I just need to modify the bottom to use some grommets and it will be fine. Just made the mounts too rigid when I welded it up.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust