baffled by no-charge issue

More
30 May 2009 12:53 #295070 by iambinjieu
baffled by no-charge issue was created by iambinjieu
Hi all,

Hope you can help. I ride a 77 KZ 650 with Dyna ignition on stock coils. Last week-end, bike just quit after I noticed the signals seemed inop. Switched off headlights, kicked it and she fired right up. Quit again after I switched on the headlights. Repeated previously mentioned starting sequence and rode home sans headlights, signals working, etc.

Put battery on Battery Tender Jr. Took about twenty hours to fully charge. Problem repeated after a couple days running. Replaced the battery thinking charging system had to be working since the bike started on first kick with an obviously dead battery in it. Scoured all the connections I could find and either cleaned them or pull- and-plug several times to get a cleaner connection.

The old girl's 32 years old. Do ya think I may have to replace the wiring? Has any one had the same issues?
Thanks in advance.

Binjieu
77 KZ 650 w/ Dyna ignition, mildly chopped
91 BMW k100rs 4v
81 BMW r65

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2009 18:32 #295142 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic baffled by no-charge issue
My bike always has those symptoms when the battery needs to be replaced. Did you still have the problem after putting in a new battery? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 May 2009 20:29 #295168 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic baffled by no-charge issue
Go to www.wgcarbs.com his forum has someone who switched a single phase to a three phase charging system using later 650 parts.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 May 2009 12:47 #295307 by iambinjieu
Replied by iambinjieu on topic baffled by no-charge issue
Yeah, same thing with the new battery installed and fully charged. Lasted about a day of cruising around town before I noticed the signals barely flashing.

Did the Clymers checks and this is what I got:
Phase A-B, A-C, B-C, all 1.2 ohm. Clymers calls for 0.4-0.6
I also noted my test leads shorted out read 0.4, so I'd say actual reading was more like 0.8, still more than recommended.

The field coil read 4.6, less the 0.4 of the leads for an actual of 4.2; Clymer says 2.7-3.4 is right. I'm guessing time to replace both stator and field coil. I installed a new rect./ regulator back in November from Z1 Enterprise, so I would like to test for voltage out at the 3 phases but don't know what is considered "acceptable".

Thanks for the feed-back and any other information you might share.

iambinjieu
77KZ 650 w/ Dyna ign and stock coils
91 BMW k100rs 4v
81 BMW r65

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
31 May 2009 13:31 #295310 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic baffled by no-charge issue
You Might want to look at the Flow chart to troubleshooting this issue:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=252&Itemid=108

If the link doesn't work you can find it under KZ information at the top of the page under filebase, non specfic model.

Hope this helps.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

More
31 May 2009 14:37 #295323 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic baffled by no-charge issue
If not already done, would assure integrity of ground connection where negative battery cable attaches to engine.

Was charging system tested by measuring voltage across battery terminals, looking for 12+ volts at idle rpm and 14+ volts at 3000-4000 rpm?

Where wiring and connectors are not likely suspects, lack of charging voltage may be rectifier issue (or alternator), and excessive voltage may be regulator issue.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
31 May 2009 16:15 - 31 May 2009 16:18 #295348 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic baffled by no-charge issue
If your '77 KZ650 is a B1 model like mine, then it came stock with a separate Voltage Regulator and a separate Rectifier.

The separate Regulator has contacts inside that can fairly easily be adjusted with a pair of pliers as per the procedure I found in my Clymer manual.

The regulator is under the left cover and looks like this:

Best of success. :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2009 16:18 by bill_wilcox100.

More
01 Jun 2009 15:11 #295530 by iambinjieu
Thanks for that, but when I bought the bike, it had already been changed to the solid state Rect./ Reg. from Z1. Taht went bad, (too much voltage to battery) so I replaced it with the same madel again from Z1. Bike ran great until recently. Dug up more info and tested the output from the three phases and these are the results:
less than 10 VDC at 4k of revs
the field coil recieves battery volts with ignition switched off and drops to under 1.5 VDC with ignition on.
This all done while the wires are connected to the rect./ reg. Should I be performing this test with wires disconnected? If so, how would the field coil magnetize the armature. Also, I think the regulator should be feeding the voltage to the field coil dependent on the input at the brown wire. Help, my head hurts. Thanks again guys, until next round.

iambinjieu
77 KZ 650 w/ Dyna ignition, mildly chopped
91 BMW k100 rs 4v
81 BMW r65

More
01 Jun 2009 15:27 #295533 by iambinjieu
Nice! Thanks, but damn library computer wont let me print it.
Guess I'll have to get some one to do it 4 me. Great flow chart. Thanks again.

iambinjieu