ZX1100-A1 Starter always engaged after starting

More
28 May 2009 16:35 #294694 by gpzthis
I have a ZX1100-A1 that the Starter always stays engaged after starting the bike. I'm not sure whats causing this but by pulling the main relay on the fuse box while the bike is running disengages the starter and I just reinstalling the main relay and alls fine (or until I start the bike again).

I also tried pulling the headlight relay next to the main relay when I start the bike and that also stops the starter and I can plug the headlight relay back in while its running and alls fine again.

I'm not sure why my starting motor stays engaged when I first start the bike but I also don't understand why just unplugging a relay after the bike is started would stop or disengage the starting motor. Also unplugging the starter relay after the bike is started does not stop the starter (only the headlight or main relay - What's in common with both?).

1) Why does the main or headlight relay stop the starter when I unplug it?

2) What could be causing the starter to stay engaged after the bike starts?

3) What's the relay bolted on the battery box with 2 plugs for and could this be the problem?

4) Does anyone have a color wiring diagram of the ZX1100-A1 or ZX1100-A2?

Just to recap, I can only use the bike by pushing the start button, after it starts the starting motor is still engaged, I then unplug a headlight relay or the main relay on the fuse box and the starter disengages, I then plug in the relay I unplugged and start riding. It's a hassle. HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2009 17:11 #294706 by MFolks
The answer for # 3 is I believe the starter solenoid. It conducts the current from the battery to the starter motor when you push the start button turning over the engine,starting the bike.

It's really a heavy duty relay with large electrical contacts inside with a return spring that retracts the contacts when power is off.

If the starter solenoid has failed internally it might acts like you described.

Have you tried using a pair of pliers or screwdriver across the terminals where the battery and starter motor are connected?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.