Headlight conversion kit from Redline

More
25 May 2009 17:00 #293959 by fordtruck
Headlight conversion kit from Redline was created by fordtruck
After changing the headlight on my 77 kz1000, I got to thinking about the advantages of the conversion kit that Readline sells. It replaces your stock headlight with a shell that uses H4 bulbs. They claim twice the brightness with the same current draw. Has anyone here used this kit? For ony $46, it seems like a good deal.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2009 17:27 #293966 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Headlight conversion kit from Redline
The newer bikes (80-89) I think as a stock headlight bulb was 55 Watts for low beam and 60 for high beam.

Be careful when increasing the brightness(Wattage) of the headlight as the switches and related wiring may not be up to the increase. Also be aware that the plastic headlight housing may get soft/melt on those bikes.

The old electrical formula to calculate current(AMPS) is take the Wattage over the Voltage or W/E, so lets say you run a light bar with two 55 Watt bulbs. You'd have 110 Watts
over 12 Volts (110/12) equals 9.16666 Amps or lets say 9.2 Amps. Most bikes cannot handle this amount in the handle bar switches without shortening their life.

A relay should be used to handle the high current using the handle bar lighting wiring to control the coil of the relay. Most automotive relays are rated between 30 and 40 Amps. Try to use at least 14 gauge wire to power the lights from the relay, anything smaller will restrict the current flow and reduce the light output.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.