Bike won't start now!

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
25 May 2009 11:37 - 25 May 2009 11:39 #293884 by clutch
Bike won't start now! was created by clutch
Ok, so I today moved the headlight down, removing the stock mounting bracket and adding a universal one. I also installed a new set of turn signals. I went to start up the bike afterward and when I pushed the magic button, absolutely nothing happened! With the key turned, all lights and warning lights that should be on, are on. What happened?

1. I may have unplugged a wire I shouldn't have in the harness inside the headlight. Any ideas what to look for there?

2. There is no sound whatsoever when pushing the button, could it be the starter relay?

3. Could it be the neutral safety switch (the wiring that forces you to pull in the clutch lever to start)?

Thanks for any and all input,

Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 25 May 2009 11:39 by clutch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2009 11:44 #293886 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Bike won't start now!
well budd if the only thing you did was change the headlight mount then it only stands to reason that you must have diconected something or pinched a wire check your fuses to see if your getting any power to them make sure the ignition key is turned on when checking.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2009 11:47 #293887 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Bike won't start now!
timebomb33 wrote:

well budd if the only thing you did was change the headlight mount then it only stands to reason that you must have diconected something or pinched a wire check your fuses to see if your getting any power to them make sure the ignition key is turned on when checking.

That's what I was thinking too...already looked for anything noticeable in the harness, but didn't find anything. I was just posting in the hopes that someone would have a specific thing to check for, that maybe had a similar problem...

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2009 13:01 #293902 by clutch
Checked my fuses...they're fine. Repair manual says to check voltage on the "black wire" to the solenoid. There are three! One from the battery (has voltage), one to the starter (obviously does not) and the third I think is a ground because it shows .04/.05 volts when checked. Any thoughts here?

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2009 13:08 #293903 by clutch
Also, is there a way to check the clutch lockout switch? The manual I have doesn't mention anything other than my bike "may" be equipped with one!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2009 13:48 #293910 by clutch
Ok, after a study of the wiring diagram, and a thorough inspection of the harnesses in the headlight, I have determined that no wires (as far as I can tell) for the starting system are contained within the headlight housing. This leads me to believe that either my solenoid (which will turn the starter with the old screwdriver method), the clutch lockout switch, or both are bad. My question now is, does the 82 kz650 csr starter solenoid replace the one for the 750e? I can't find one listed specifically for my bike and it looks identical to mine!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
25 May 2009 13:54 #293913 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Bike won't start now!
Check the engine stop switch(the one on the right switch pod)is it disconnected?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2009 13:55 #293916 by clutch
MFolks wrote:

Check the engine stop switch(the one on the right switch pod)is it disconnected?

Do you mean I should pull that control pod off and check the wiring on it?

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
25 May 2009 14:40 #293929 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Bike won't start now!
I'd open up the switch and check the related wiring. This switch must be "on" to have the engine run.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2009 15:01 #293933 by clutch
I am 100% sure it is NOT the solenoid (checked with wire from pos batt to black wire), and fairly certain it is NOT the clutch lockout. I am having issues getting one of the screws out to remove the switch pod to check wiring and switch functionality. If it is not there, I am fairly certain that it is some wire/wires leading TO the switch itself! I'm just hoping I can get this issue resolved before my new exhaust gets here!!!!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2009 16:41 #293955 by clutch
I am seriously considering adding a new starter switch since I can't get the right side controls off! The bike starts so much easier than with the original start button, so I am thinking the button burnt out or went bad on me. Using a wire, I only have to touch a hot wire/batt terminal for a split second and she starts right up!!!!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
25 May 2009 17:58 #293978 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Bike won't start now!
Sounds like you are on the right track :) I've had to clean the innards of my starter button in the past. Corrosion and crud. Nothing some contact cleaner could'nt fix.

Also had a squashed insect smeared across the contacts of the engine run/kill switch which prevented starting.

If you have a clutch lockout switch you should see a black wire coming from the clutch lever area just on the near side of where the clutch cable connects to the lever and if you ever need to remove it go at it from underneath and press in the little black spring tab.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust