I keep burning up my cylinder 1/4 coil Update

More
07 Jun 2009 15:07 #297068 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic I keep burning up my cylinder 1/4 coil?
Old Man Rock wrote:

But as you wrote yourself... "condenser momentarily aborbs current".... If dead shorted to ground longer durations equates to longer current demands through the coil...

If battery/charging system, why only the 1/4 coil?
I'm not getting this theory....

OMR[/quoteWith a dead shortex condenser there is no spark to the plugs attached to the related coil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2009 15:11 #297069 by nads.com
bountyhunter wrote:

Patton wrote:

Might be wrong, but thinking shorted or failed condenser (capacitor) won't damage the coil itself, but only reduces the coil's performance.

Actually, I think it could degrade and kill a coil over time. The condenser supplies some current through the coil primary when the points open, effectively slowing the rate that the current through the coil primary goes down after the points open. That controls the amount of voltage arc appearing across the points. But, the points are in series to ground from the coil primary negative terminal so the coil's primary is getting hit with almost the same voltage that arcs across the points. If that condenser is hosed, the primary will get hit with excessive voltage spikes (so will the secondary, except the spark plug will fire and clamp that side's voltage at whatever it takes to jump the plug gap). The bad condenser theory is definitely worth considering.

If the condenser is bad the points would hve toasted long ago.

More
07 Jun 2009 15:29 #297073 by nads.com
Patton wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

...So, how does over voltage due to charging system or Reg failure, drained battery cause only one coil to be damaged? I mean this is the same Voltage being supplied to both coils...

Now I do understand bad plug wires or resistive plugs on coil/pugs 1/4 drawing excessive current on the SECONDARY side... (think I got that right :P ) but the charging system/battery theory I'm missing something in what is being depicted....

Am thinking we would agree it's unlikely that coil oozing failure could result from a defective regulator and/or weak battery.

My mental block is in trying to comprehend that coil oozing failure might result from a defective capacitor. I understand that arcing across points contacts results in nano-second slower collapse of the magnetic field (and thereby weaker spark), but don't see how such a miniscule increase in grounded primary winding time could overheat the coil.

Dwell is a measure of the duration of time that the primary circuit of the ignition system is closed to energize the primary windings of the coil. To me this means the time during which points are closed whereby coil primary windings are grounded and the coil is being "charged" with current flowing through the primary windings which builds the magnetic field.

The Dyna-S has longer dwell time than a points/capacitor ignition, which Dyna-S affords a longer time during which current continues flowing in the coil primary windings. And longer than the additional nano-second from a bad capacitor in a points system. Yet Dyna-S doesn't cause coil oozing failure due to prolonged charging session in the coil primary winding. So why would a bad capacitor?

Basically that's where my brain is stuck. (Undoubtedly needs cleaning and lubricating :laugh: ).

Good Luck! :)

my charging system regulator was down for quite some time. The higher voltage caused my coils to ooz constantly. Eventually even a rock learns to be worn away by the water. The harder one tries the less he understands. The battery is fried from too much input? Any ooz on used coils would indicate the same sort of problem existed on the bike they came off of. Too much technical here. Youre gonna end up with one of those headache things.

More
07 Jun 2009 16:12 #297081 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic I keep burning up my cylinder 1/4 coil Update
Nads... as you worte "The higher voltage caused my coils to ooz constantly." as in plural....

I just don't understand theoretically why only the one coil and not the other is damaged (oozed)....

Again, not trying to start a flame war... just trying to educate my mind and knowledge of these old magnificent machines.

Same time... Russ, seems you have the issue fixed for the time being.... Sweet! B) Bike looks killer even in flat black.... Enjoy the freedom & wind in your face....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Russ Jackson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2009 17:36 #297106 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic I keep burning up my cylinder 1/4 coil Update
Old Man Rock wrote:

Nads... as you worte "The higher voltage caused my coils to ooz constantly." as in plural....

I just don't understand theoretically why only the one coil and not the other is damaged (oozed)....

Again, not trying to start a flame war... just trying to educate my mind and knowledge of these old magnificent machines.

Same time... Russ, seems you have the issue fixed for the time being.... Sweet! B) Bike looks killer even in flat black.... Enjoy the freedom & wind in your face....

OMR

Thanks OMR Flat Black is easy. I will have it painted by Mid-Ohio AMA. Just need to pick a color. Thinking Goldish - Orange...LOL...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
07 Jun 2009 17:40 #297111 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic I keep burning up my cylinder 1/4 coil Update
Hell... Leave it flat black then you won;t have to worry about posting a clear coat paint/fuel protection problem.... :whistle: :laugh:

Seriously, the old girl looks sweet! B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• Russ Jackson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2009 17:45 #297115 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic I keep burning up my cylinder 1/4 coil Update
Old Man Rock wrote:

Hell... Leave it flat black then you won;t have to worry about posting a clear coat paint/fuel protection problem.... :whistle: :laugh:

Seriously, the old girl looks sweet! B)

I ride it alot. I am just not into the polishing thing. The flt black is very easy to touch up. When I was young I used to scratch girls phone numbers in the tank. Man I wish I still had that tank...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
07 Jun 2009 18:08 #297144 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic I keep burning up my cylinder 1/4 coil Update
Old Man Rock wrote:

I just don't understand theoretically why only the one coil and not the other is damaged (oozed).... Just guessing somewhat here I'm probly out of my league and in denial.at the same time. It's happened before and it will again.

OMR