Geez, Who knows what I did to it this time?(KZ750)

More
18 May 2009 23:18 - 18 May 2009 23:19 #292533 by meNmyKZ
I AM SRY FOR IT BEING SO LONG/BORING, I FIGURED AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION WOULD HELP IN DIAGNOSING...THX TO ALL FOR READING AND RESPONDING.

Well, I am happy to say I havn't had to come in here and bug you guys with ridiculous questions for quite some time. Put quite a few miles on my bike with no problems that I couldn't fix with Clymers and some brains... But now I think I have a big problem.
Here is the problem
I was driving down a country rode with my girlfriend on the back. Obviously I wasn't beating on it, I was just taking it easy with the gf on the back, when I started to notice a bit of ticking from the engine area. At the same time it started to loose power. It wouldn't accelarate as fast as usual. I could definetly tell something was wrong. With in a mile I came up to a "stop" sign. I pulled in my clutch to start to slow down and the bike died. I car clearly see no cars were coming, so I let out the clutch and blew through the "stop" sign. It ran(crappy)for another 1/2 mile. While driving I pulled in the clutch and "revved" the engine and it died completely. I coasted to a stop and tryed to restart it. It didn't "turn over" at all, it just clicked.
Anbody know what could have went wrong? It really seems like a electrical problem, but I really don't know anything about working on bikes.

Here are my thoughts/questions.
Could a electrical problem cause my symptoms???

Clicking sorta reminded me of a car out of oil, and the loss of engine power reminded me of when my car broke a alturnator belt.

I have plenty of oil, could this possibly be a blown engine from it not receiving oil somehow???(the clicking???)

I wouldn't think that within 2 miles I would have had from "lifters" clicking, to a bike that wouldn't run. With my limited knowledge thats the only thing I can associate the "clicking" to.
Also it does seem like the battery is quite dead, which is another thing that is making me think that something is up with my electrical system. I can't really tell tho because all it does it click. My multi-meter is useless to me, cuz I am an idiot and don't know what to look for or how to even use it properly.

So... What ya think...
Last edit: 18 May 2009 23:19 by meNmyKZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
18 May 2009 23:31 #292535 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Geez, Who knows what I did to it this time?(KZ750)
This is a shot in the dark but, my kz 400 did the same thing a week ago. It turned out the 3 wires coming off the stator got ripped in half and the bike wouldnt charge at all. It might be worth it to pull off your sproket cover and have a look. As far as the clicking noise goes im not sure........maby you need to adjust your valves.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
18 May 2009 23:42 #292536 by meNmyKZ
Thanks, i will give that a look. At least that give some hope for it being electrical and not some catostrophic internal engine problem.

I just had the valves adjusted about 1200 miles ago. I really don't think that was the noise though.

Could something electrical brake, maybe the stator, and cause the clicking as well as the loss of both engine power and battery charging power?
]
Thx, I appriciate the response and ideas

More
20 May 2009 06:29 #292848 by tw..
I had similar problems years ago, which turned out to be my voltage regulator. I replaced the voltage regulator and have never had a charging/stalling issue since.

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

More
20 May 2009 09:07 #292867 by timebomb33
it sort of sounds like your rotor has backed off on the crank the sound you heard could be the starter clutch coming apart.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
20 May 2009 09:51 #292874 by Locozuna
I'd kind of lean towards regulator/rectifier for a start. Battery is another possibility. Then I'd go for stator. But first start with the simple.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
20 May 2009 09:54 #292876 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Geez, Who knows what I did to it this time?(KZ750)
Have you checked the water in your battery? Also make sure it is charging...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
20 May 2009 11:37 #292892 by Ozzel94
Yeah, sounds like a classic dead battery due to a bad charging system. Now the trick will be to find the fault in the charging system.... luckily its relatively basic, only a few components. 1. Stator (located on the end of the crank) 2. The regulator/rectifier (under the side panel) 3. The Battery or 4. the wiring or connectors between the previous three.

My guess is the ticking was simply miss firing as the dying battery was failing to fire the cylinders.

Ok.... first up is to make sure it truely is a dead battery. Put your multimeter on DC volts, in a range that will show 12 volts. Then put the probes on the two battery poles. If its under about 11 to 12 volts you know that your problem is your battery or charging system.

If you have a battery charger, then check the water level in the battery (top it off if nessesary) and give the battery a good charge. Next try to fire up the bike. If it fires up after the battery is charged you know your on the right track. With the engine still running... use your DC voltage setting again and test the battery again, rev it up a little (around 2500 to 3000 rpm) and watch the voltage... should read over 12.5v, hopefully around 13v to 13.5v ??? or so. If thats the case then your charging system is working. If its not, reading 12v or less, then your issue is one of the four things above. I think your clymer manual will have some basic tests for each of the components, but my guess would be the regulator/rectifier (pretty common failure part IMO)

good luck, and keep us updated.

-JC

1979 KZ650SR
1969 CB350
1993 KLX650C
1998 VFR800

More
20 May 2009 19:27 #292993 by OKC_Kent
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=252&Itemid=108

Try this link, it may help pinpoint the problem. I agree with the others' comments about charging, it happened to my 650 a few years ago.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles