Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Turn signal woes 07 Mar 2006 17:24 #29163

• storysunfolding
  • storysunfolding's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The turn signals probably worked way before I got this bike (81 650 csr) but not now.

The right side works ok on and off but the left side has a huge delay (once every 10 seconds). Do they operate off the same relay?

Can I just pick up a car turn signal relay from advance auto or whatnot and expect it to work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turn signal woes 07 Mar 2006 17:29 #29167

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
This is a well-known problem. As the wiring ages, the current passing through the wires changes, and that changes the balance on the "analog" signal relay.

Most people make one of two points about this:

1.) Well, since your wiring is aging, maybe you should look into that and consider this a symptom.

2.) You definately should buy a "heavy-duty" (electronic) signal relay from the auto store. It will smooth out the signal tempo, and prepare you for L.E.D.s should you ever do that....
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Turn signal woes 07 Mar 2006 17:32 #29171

• storysunfolding
  • storysunfolding's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wiring is probably an issue, will the electronic signal relay fix the problem or am I going to have to go rewire all the turnsignals??

Turn signal woes 07 Mar 2006 19:06 #29219

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
storysunfolding wrote:

Wiring is probably an issue, will the electronic signal relay fix the problem or am I going to have to go rewire all the turnsignals??

Sorry I didn't make it clear... Yes, the electronic flasher unit will solve the problem. It regulates the flashes perfectly.

The analog one does it based on load, which is why it has changed over the years due to bad wiring.

The electronic one does not care about the load.

I bought one that was labeled "Heavy-Duty" at AutoZone for about $6. It said it was for automotive use for trailer kits or something. All I cared about is that it had the same amount of pin connectors, and was round so it fit in my stock rubber holder...

I hope that clarifies....
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Page: