Where would you start looking??

More
12 May 2009 20:19 #290695 by bowtie39
Where would you start looking?? was created by bowtie39
Have a 81 1000K1 LTD. Been doing some routine rebuilding of brakes, cleaning and generally replacing things. Was not a basket at all, a running bike when I purchased. Probably apart 3 months and I had a trickle on it. Finished things enough for some riding and it started up fine which was last Friday. Rode it everyday since, went out this evening to go out and it didn't start. Best way to explain is on the first push of starter it turned over but not real strong and then spun out and I released starter. This spin out is something that has happened on many bikes many times. But then after I did release button all lights(dash)went out and no life at all, dead. Push starter and nothing.

Don't know how old this battery is, but thats where I will look first tomorrow.

Any other suggestions.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Garbone
  • User
  • User is Currently waiting for his bailout check..
More
12 May 2009 20:51 #290698 by The Garbone
Replied by The Garbone on topic Where would you start looking??
My guess is something is going bad and you blew a fuse.. Even if the battery is bad it should give you some lights on the dash...

2007 Royal Enfield Iron
1979 KZ650 & Hack
1949 Ford 8n

More
12 May 2009 21:05 #290701 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Where would you start looking??
I'd do this first: remove the fuses(make a map of what goes where),clean the fuse clips with a Dremel tool and small wire brush,continuity check the old glass tubed fuses with either a self powered test light or a multimeter set on OHMS.

See if the fuses metal end caps are on tight(they can fail from vibration and current surges), If they test o.k. replace them with new ones from a good auto parts store. A light spritz with some good electrical contact cleaner(NOT WD-40!) will ensure good operation.

The fuses are the AGX type(1" long) that should be 10,20 and 30 amp rated fuses. AGC fuses will not fit as they are 1 1/4" long.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 May 2009 21:15 #290702 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Where would you start looking??
have battery tested with load tester B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 May 2009 20:39 #290989 by bowtie39
Replied by bowtie39 on topic Where would you start looking??
Will get to the fuses. Actually, pulled one last night and noticed colored material inside and twisted the caps. One end twisted so will replace all.

Thanks all,
Roger