1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks.

More
08 May 2009 21:29 #289259 by Bek82
1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks. was created by Bek82
So I'm still pretty new with learning on this motorcycle but here's the quick summary. Cleaned out the tank and carb and new plugs. Would not start, checked the plugs and plugs were dry, recleaned the carbs and cranks but won't start. Tried testing for a spark by holding the plug next to the frame and there was no spark. Since these are brand new plugs I'm guessing something is wrong with the ignition coils. so my question is...
1. Are ignition coils interchangeable between the different 750 twins? I checked the parts number and they are different but I'm wondering if it will matter all that much...
2. How do you remove this ignition coil? It seems trapped in the frame, and it looks like I have to unscrew what seems to be engine mounts in order to get this off...Didn't want to try this before I knew it was okay to do so. From what I can tell the ignition wires are a single unit with the coil so removing the wires or checking for continuity between the coil and wire is useless since I cant take the two apart. So I think I'm looking at buying a new coil unless someone has a better idea.

Oh and in case you were wondering, the oil has been changed, the headlights, gauges and turn signals all work. The starter cranks but does not turn the engine over. I could be wrong but since the headlight and instrumental is working doesn't this mean that the coil is receiving power from the battery? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it would be a safe assumption.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2009 22:37 - 08 May 2009 22:43 #289274 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks.
Bek82 wrote:

1. Are ignition coils interchangeable between the different 750 twins? I checked the parts number and they are different but I'm wondering if it will matter all that much....

I think they are. The OEM replacement coils cover many model years. Z1 Enterprises sells the OEM four Ohm replacement coil for $36.

Bek82 wrote:

2. How do you remove this ignition coil? It seems trapped in the frame, and it looks like I have to unscrew what seems to be engine mounts in order to get this off...Didn't want to try this before I knew it was okay to do so. .

You take the mount brackets loose. Four upper bolts go into the frame, two lower bolts go through the top of the cam cover. It's actuall pretty easy.

BTW: a twin has only ONE COIL which provides spark to both plugs.

Bek82 wrote:

The starter cranks but does not turn the engine over. .

If you mean the crankshaft is not turning, that means the starter clutch is bad.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 08 May 2009 22:43 by bountyhunter.

More
08 May 2009 22:43 #289275 by Bek82
Replied by Bek82 on topic 1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks.
when i said the engine doesn't turn over I just meant that it wasn't turning on...but now that you bring this up, how do i go about checking to see if the crankshaft is turning or not? or is there another diagnostic way of figuring out if the starter clutch is bad.

More
08 May 2009 22:49 #289278 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks.
Bek82 wrote:

when i said the engine doesn't turn over I just meant that it wasn't turning on...but now that you bring this up, how do i go about checking to see if the crankshaft is turning or not? .

Take the points cover off and watch as you crank the starter.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 May 2009 23:32 #289310 by vincentmoy
Replied by vincentmoy on topic 1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks.
How long have you been trying to start it?

Was it able to start before you clean those things?

I have a 1980 KZ750H/4 and it was sitting for just a week and it will crank but won't start for a good 5 - 10 min.

KZ750 LTD
Miles: Unknown (speedo cable broke)

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
09 May 2009 00:59 #289317 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic 1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks.
Is it possible that the new plugs are defective?........very rare but i have had it happen to me.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
09 May 2009 06:22 #289340 by Bek82
Replied by Bek82 on topic 1980 KZ750G Twin only cranks.
When I bought the bike it was not running, the previous owner had bought the bike as a restoration project that he never got to. So I have no idea how long it was sitting or when the last time it ran was. It is possible that the new plugs are defective, but since the old plugs didn't work and the new ones dont either, I'm more leaning towards the coil or another issue. I will check the crankfshaft today to see if the starter clutch is bad.
This is going to be kinda funny but since I dont have a manual, anybody wanna point me in the right direction to the point cover and starter clutch? And any hints in doing so? Really not wanting to mess things up even worse than things were before....