Advancer springs

More
06 May 2009 02:57 #288403 by Jay_G
Advancer springs was created by Jay_G
Hey guys,

I am looking for a pair of new ignition advancer springs for my KZ750 4cyl that runs mech advance electronic ignition, Local kawasaki stealership here in Australia wants lots of $$$ for a whole advancer unit on a slow boat from japan. Anyone have any sources for the springs?

Ideally i would like to get completely away from the mechanical advance setup as i am not confident in the pickups lasting much longer and the cam has wear on it somehow but i am not sure on how to do it. is it possible to bolt up a later GPZ setup with the splicing of a few wires or is it a big headache? or do i have to face the fact mech advance is a way of life? i am not to keen on shelling out for a dyna 2000, but dyna S is fine.

Cheers

Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2009 07:32 #288454 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Advancer springs
I've had no luck getting just advancer springs. I've had to get the whole advancer. Kaw may still carry it, but it's not cheap.

Dyna S still requires the mechanical advancer.

If you go to the later style Kawasaki ignition with electronic advance, you would need the pickups, rotor, and igniter box. The wiring is similar, but I'm sure the connectors are different so you'll be doing some splicing and the igniter box is very big and difficult to get. You can use the same coils. However, there is a problem. At least on the 550 line (which uses the same timing plate as the 650/750-4 line), the newer electronic-advance timing plate will not fit into the older engines. There is an interference issue with the casting of the engine. I'm not sure if this problem exists on the 750 motors. I know you can put the older ignition into the newer motor, but I'm not sure about the other way around.

Do you still have the springs? Are they just weak? There is a little trick I do to tighten them up a bit. It's very effective. Have you checked them with a timing light and a very accurate tach?

More
06 May 2009 13:41 #288524 by Jay_G
Replied by Jay_G on topic Advancer springs
Unfortunately one of the springs actually snapped.

As luck would have it i went out to my garage last night and found an old late model igniter box :) i decided to cut it off at the plug and keep t when i was wrecking a later model gpz, i think i may still have the rotor somewhere too, just not the pickup plate.

More
06 May 2009 15:42 #288558 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Advancer springs
Somehow I get the feeling this is a set-up! ;) Well! Now I gots to know! How do you tighten a worn/weak spring? :huh:

Besides stretching it....... :ohmy: :whistle: :pinch:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
06 May 2009 22:56 #288682 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Advancer springs
I've found I can get the springs to conform to the original advance curve by tightening up the loop on one end a tiny bit.

When the springs are stretched, they advance too early and the advance is all in too early. This can cause a little pinging on hot days. By closing up the loop a tiny bit, I am effectively making the spring a tad shorter to compensate for the stretch. Be careful, though, it's easy to over do it.

More
07 May 2009 14:50 #288797 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Advancer springs
thats a great idea

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts