Starter Relay?

• davenkids2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2009 06:53 #287765 by davenkids2001
Starter Relay? was created by davenkids2001
Quick question for the KZ650 guys...
The last few days I have been having intermittant problems starting my bike with the starter with the button. After checking my neutral switch (good); battery (good - new) I went to the starter relay and jumpered across the terminals and the bike started right up. As far as I can tell, it could only be the relay, a bad button or ignition-switch, or a pinched wire somewhere (which is possible because I had the head assy apart earlier this spring to replace indicator lamps). The bike still starts with the kicker and occasionally with the starter button but not often.
I suspect it is the starter relay. So my question is: when a starter relay goes bad does it fail intermittantly? Or is it just good or bad? Should I just go ahead and replace the relay or do you suggest I trace out my wiring? BTW...the wiring "looks" fine but all electrical components are original.
Thanks.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2009 07:18 #287768 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Starter Relay?
yeah they can be tempormental just like starter solinod (spell check)on a car

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
04 May 2009 10:00 #287809 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Starter Relay?
It could be the relay, but odds are it isn't that. One of the small wires going to the relay is ground, the other wire gets 12v to energize the relay when desired. You have 12v whenever the ignition switch is "on" on one terminal of the starter button. When you press start 12v is switched to the other terminal and from there goes to one terminal of the clutch lockout switch. If the clutch is pulled in 12v is switched to the second terminal and from there down to the relay. There's potential for bad connections or bad switches anywhere between 12v and the relay or from ground to the relay. It may not be easy to get to places to check voltages, but first check should be do you have 12v on one terminal of the relay and zero volts(ground)on the other when the start button is pressed and the clutch lever pulled in? If so bad relay if the relay is not energized at that point. If volts are not there, problem is elsewhere and more likely.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• davenkids2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2009 10:48 #288152 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Starter Relay?
Ok...I'll check this out. Thanks guys.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
05 May 2009 14:26 #288193 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Starter Relay?
I have replaced my start button switch due to it falling apart from use, it's a good place to check first since you know the relay worked when you jumped it. One would think the clutch switch would fail first due to it's constant use, but I think start buttons fail first for some reason.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles