• mseems
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 550 A3
More
28 Apr 2009 21:11 - 28 Apr 2009 21:13 #286115 by mseems
82 KZ550 turn signal relay problem was created by mseems
Hello All,
I'm looking for some advice on troubleshooting my turn signals. I have been through everything. They used to work, then slowly stopped. Right before they completely quit working they would only flash if I would lean the back over and turn the handlebars. Made me think it was a short right? Unfortunately I can't find it. I have tried new relays. The kind I have are thermal 12 volt. Could this be an issue? I think I might need an electronic instead because it would flash at 12 volts no matter what right? The last thing I tried a jumper from pos batt to the relay then a jumper from the other post on relay to blue and grey wires individually at both front turn signals. Both turn signals would flash momentarily then seemed to stop. Battery was getting low. Soon I couldn't get the relay to click anymore. Tried other relays that I had, same thing. No click. Tried to jumper both batt leads directly to relay no more click. If the battery is low from troubleshooting (9v) would that cause the relay not to click? One relay I have is clear and looks fine, however it is thermal too I think. I have traced wires back and forth. Switch looks good. When I push hazards, all the front and rears come on solid. Switched that flasher around too. Nothing. Running lights do work, not sure if the left side is wired right. When ground on front left turn signal is attached the running light is on and the indicator light for that side is out. When I disconnect the ground from the turn signal the indicator light comes on and turn signal goes out. Confusing!!! Neutral light goes on and off when I move wires around behind headlight but I cannot pinpoint the short. Help!!!
Update: All four turn signals will flash individually when I hook power straight to relay then jumper to turn signal off relay, using existing ground attached to each light.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 21:13 by mseems. Reason: add picture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2009 21:20 #286121 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82 KZ550 turn signal relay problem
Fully charge the battery,clean all battery terminals and the one that goes to the chassis ground(usually at the engine)Before buying a new flasher relay see if the problem was a low or partially discharged battery.

Have you had it load tested or check the specific gravity with those floating indicator testers?

The problem might be in the turn signal switch in the left switch pod, they get corrosion and can cause this kind of problem too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• mseems
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 550 A3
More
28 Apr 2009 21:47 #286126 by mseems
Replied by mseems on topic 82 KZ550 turn signal relay problem
After charging the battery the relay clicks only when I have it wired directly from the battery and jumped straight to a signal light. The turn signal switch looks good and I sprayed contact cleaner in there. There is voltage on the orange wire in the middle. I have pictures but couldn't get them to load on here yet. Too big of file.

More
28 Apr 2009 22:10 #286130 by MFolks
Try a new flasher as they wear out over time. They come in two and three terminal sizes. Bring your old one along for comparison.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
29 Apr 2009 05:39 #286165 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 82 KZ550 turn signal relay problem
Not sure on the KZ550 but here's what I just came across on my 900....

Everything (electrical) had been working fine, LED conversions... As I had been working on my mirror handle bar mounts, I had loosen and relocated the handle bar controls slightly. I came across where my new integrated LED turn/brake light stopped working correctly and my horn stopped working all together... :huh: WTF you say!

Out with the schematic and DVM, t-shoot all seemed good except for one minor detail! The left handle bar control grounds through the bar itself!!! Yup!

I have anodized BLACK Renthal Fatbar and in meauring the bar riser mount bolts, good continuity to frame/battery ground. On the bar itself, poor ground.... Pending exactly where I rotated the left control, it would make/brake ground contact and work or not....

Sanded the bar anodization/paint down down to bare metal where the left control mounts to the bar and all works as previously....

Just a thought!

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
29 Apr 2009 08:46 #286203 by MFolks
Many people don't know Anodizing is an electrical non conductor on Aluminum parts.

1982 GPZ1100 B2