pickup coils?

More
25 Apr 2009 15:54 #285223 by My1stKZ750
pickup coils? was created by My1stKZ750
I Have a 1980 KZ750H LTD 4cyl.
WHat is happening is that at random times i was losing spark on #2&#3 plugs. I switched coils around and problem stayed w/ 2&3 cylinders.
So coil swap not helping.Next I took ohms readings at the wires for pickup coils. black and blue wires have 500 ohms all the time. yellow and red when hot are over 1200ohms and when cool 450-500ohms sometimes ofl.. I also checked the IC ignitor as per manual it seems ok. So am i correct i need new pickup coils?
thanks for any help sorry to be long winded.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2009 15:58 #285225 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic pickup coils?
Most likely you need a new yellow/red pickup, but there is also a small chance it is just a bad wire. If you get two safety pins and poke them into the red and yellow wires near the pickup, you can get an ohm reading for the pickup while eliminating most of the wiring as a possible problem. If the reading is a good, and steady 450-500 ohms there, then the pickup may be ok and you may only need to splice the wires.

More
26 Apr 2009 06:05 #285355 by My1stKZ750
Replied by My1stKZ750 on topic pickup coils?
thanks for help..I tried that at the pick up coil and i get different reading everytime or nothing at all..So i guess im looking for pickup coil .. Can i buy just a Pickup coil?? thanx again

More
26 Apr 2009 07:38 #285371 by loudhvx
Usually you have to get the whole timing plate, if you do ebay or craigslist. But since all of the early KZ electronic ignitions used the same pickups (but on different plates) you can get the pickups from any KZ as long as it looks the same as your pickups. Then you can just swap the red/yellow pickup.

As far as buying brand new, I don't even know if they are available.

More
26 Apr 2009 14:15 #285431 by KZPens
Replied by KZPens on topic pickup coils?
I have some you can have, I had to extend the wire on these because it wasn't long enough for my '81 750ltd, it ran fine on my bike until I found a good set with the wire long enough. Of course I replaced that one with a dyna-s a year later, put it in a box to sell, and have no clue were it is now :laugh:

Anyways if you want these for testing or whatever let me know, I can get it out tuesday, no charge. I really need to clean out all the leftovers of my project.

P.S. I checked them they both show around 450.

More
04 May 2009 10:16 #287814 by My1stKZ750
bruno,
Hey thanx the box got here friday.Unfortunately i hurt my back last tuesday so i havent been able to put them on my bike yet.. but again thanx for sending the pickup coils.
michael

More
15 May 2009 14:38 #291461 by My1stKZ750
OK, I GOT A SET OF USED PICKUP COILS FROM FELLOW KZRIDER KZPENS. PUT ON THE ONE I NEEDED AND HAVE BEEN RIDING SINCE. NO MORE ISSUES WITH THAT..BIKE RUNS AWESOME WELL FOR STOCK. NOW I HAVE A HOLE IN STOCK RIGHT SIDE EXHAUST. HOPFULLY I CAN GET NEW AFTERMARKET MUFFLER. GOTTA STAY ON CHEAP SIDE CANT AFFORD 4 INTO 1. WIFE WATCHING OVER..HAHA.. THANKS EVERYONE ESPECIALLY KZPENS..

More
15 May 2009 20:04 #291547 by loudhvx
Excellent! Put on a new exhaust, but just make it dirty to look old. :)