Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 23 Apr 2009 12:37 #284409

• PAULJAC
  • PAULJAC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,Been tryng to get info on this unit for a week now hope you guys can help...It is a Tour Max regulator rectifier RGU-405 716835 It has a white plug with 2 yellow and 1 black cable and a red/white cable with a male bullet and a brown wire with a male bullet,It is being sold in UK for z1000 and Kz900 no instructions on box and cant find any info on web Trying to fit to uk spec Z1B which looks to be the same as my KZ900.....Cheers PaulJac....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 23 Apr 2009 12:49 #284412

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
The two yellow wires should connect to the stator output wires, the black is the ground wire (frame or battery - terminal), the red/white is the reg/rec output wire that should connect to the battery + terminal preferrably through a fuse (you can also connect it to the lug on the starter solenoid where the + battery terminal connects). The brown wire is the voltage sense wire, it should connect to a switched 12V source - that is a 12V source that has no power when ignition is off, on my 650 it connects to the brown wire going to the flasher relay.

Oh, welcome aboard btw.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Last edit: by OnkelB.

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 23 Apr 2009 13:21 #284424

• PAULJAC
  • User
Thanks for that quick response,i have three yellow wires that come out of the stator(3 phase?) does it matter which of these i use? Cheers Pauljac...

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 23 Apr 2009 13:44 #284435

• OnkelB
  • User
I'm not really familiar with the 900s, but if you indeed have three yellow wires coming from the stator (plus the neutral switch wire) you have a 3-phase stator - if so the reg/rec in question won't work as it is meant for a 1-phase stator (2 yellow wires). Sorry for the bad news, but that's the way it is, for a 3-phase stator you will need a 3-phase reg/rec with 3 yellow wires.

To determine what you have a 1-phase setup will have 3 wires coming in a bundle from the stator area, 2 stator wires and the wire for the neutral switch. A 3-phase setup will have 4 wires coming in a bundle from the stator area, 3 stator wires and the wire for the neutral switch.

Btw, if that's your bike in your avatar, that looks really clean, how about some larger pics?

Edit: I just checked my parts catalogue and it lists the TourMax parts no. RGU-301 as the correct one for the 73-76 Z1/Z1A/Z1B if that's what you have.

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 23 Apr 2009 14:25 #284465

• PAULJAC
  • User
Thanks for comments on my bike,not sure how to post pics yet on site will see if i can post more pics,the unit i have is a RGU-405!!!!! its for my new project which is a USA import Z1b
in red with the dual front disc set up,its all in bits at the mo,looks like my supplier has got it wrong with the unit will get back to him,funny though have seen this unit advertised in uk on two suppliers sites as suitable for Z1b.Thanks for your help with this,check out the z1 owners club uk,some good stuff on there Cheers Pauljac...

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 23 Apr 2009 18:34 #284572

• hoghaterkaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
PAULJAC wrote:

Thanks for that quick response,i have three yellow wires that come out of the stator(3 phase?) does it matter which of these i use? Cheers Pauljac...

that two yellow wire reg/rec will not work on your 3 phase 3 wire stator.

Last edit: by hoghaterkaw.

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 24 Apr 2009 12:12 #284815

• PAULJAC
  • User
Thanks for help Guys have sourced correct unit now from my supplier.....

Tour Max regulator rectifier HELP!!!!!!!! 24 Apr 2009 12:31 #284820

• OnkelB
  • User
Good to hear. Just one more thing to check: on most of the KZs the order in which you connect the stator wires (phases) to the reg/rec won't matter but on a few models it will - these models will usually have three differently colored stator wires rather than 3 yellow.

Looking at the TourMax RGU-301 that's listed as the correct one for the Z1/Z1A/Z1B I suspect it's meant for the latter model where the order is important. If that's the new one you got it's definitely worth checking before you connect the new reg/rec and start the bike up.

Note that on some bikes the stator wires will appear to have the same color, but what you're looking at is actually a protective wrap around the wires, there may be differently colored wires under the wrap, you can usually pull back the wrap a little to check.

• Page: