Mystery wire time, chapter 2

More
20 Apr 2009 21:42 #283514 by Skonnie Boy
Mystery wire time, chapter 2 was created by Skonnie Boy
Did the wires come joined like this originally, or is this some PO fix? I'm guessing yes, as far as the brown wires. Having a lot of problems with lights working intermittently, could this be a source of the problem, or are they fundamentally sound?

'77 kz650C
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2009 22:16 #283517 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Mystery wire time, chapter 2
On most Kawasaki's the Red wire is the running lights(tail light)Blue wire(sometimes with a red stripe)is the brake light(s) and Black with Yellow stripe is the ground wire.

Where was this picture taken? any place toward the main harness or toward the smaller wire harness going toward the back end of the bike?

What ever it is, corrosion has taken hold and can cause intermittant operation. I'd cut out if possible the bad wires and replace the splice? with a good heatshrinkable crimped splice.

It is possible the factory harness had a uninsulated crimped splice covered with electrical tape and over time the adhesive reacted with the copper in the joint causing corrosion.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Apr 2009 22:18 #283518 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Mystery wire time, chapter 2
they did not come like that...update your signiture in your profile info with bike make/model and your general location and folks will not have to guess what you are talking about and will better be able to understand and help you...look at the bottom of my post and it lists my bikes and location....good luck...good picture too...but not really any bike info so who knows what end of the horse your petting or even what kinda horse....peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
20 Apr 2009 22:46 #283527 by Skonnie Boy
Replied by Skonnie Boy on topic Mystery wire time, chapter 2
Right you is. Sorry, its a '77 kz650C. I've got a million questions, but for now its helpful to know its someone else's handiwork, and it could be causing problems. Several wires have been joined like this (Orange, for one) and some had extensive corrosion when I unwrapped them. Think I saw another thread that had some useful sites as far as connectors and such. Thanks.

'77 kz650C

More
21 Apr 2009 14:17 - 21 Apr 2009 14:19 #283740 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Mystery wire time, chapter 2
The common splices on KZ's look similar to that, but look much neater and it's made from a crimped, brass ferule. I can't tell from your photo, but it should not have any solder. If it's soldered, then it's probably someone elses fix. A soldered joint like that will not last as long as the factory crimp-splice. The solder promotes corrosion and the rigidity promotes breakage.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 14:19 by loudhvx.