93 KZ1000 - Wiring diagram for engine kill switch

More
13 Apr 2009 10:53 #281386 by pchavez
I recently acquired a 93 KZ 1000 police special that needs a little TLC. Right now the engine kill switch doesn't work and the engine starts no matter what. The tool who previously owned the bike said "oh, I must have disconnected it after I busted the starter switch" (he wired his own up...) so now I'm on a quest to re-enable this safety feature.

Does anyone know where I could get a wiring diagram for the kill switch? It looks like all the wires are intact but I want to make sure I put them in the right place.

77 KZ650 - stock | 93 KZP1000 - project X!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2009 11:10 #281392 by MFolks
I don't have a wiring diagram for your particular model but I own a 82 GPZ1100 B2. I'd imagine there are pretty close in the right switch wiring.

The start switch wiring has two black wires; it makes no difference as to what goes where.

The engine stop switch or kill switch has a RED wire on one part of the switch and a YELLOW wire with RED stripe on the other part of the switch

The front brake switch has a BROWN wire on one part of the switch with a BLUE wire with a RED stripe on the other part

A six pin connector(probably in the headlight housing) mates with a connector coming off the main harness.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Apr 2009 11:14 #281393 by pchavez
Sweet! Thanks for the help.

More
21 Apr 2009 02:49 #283586 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic 93 KZ1000 - Wiring diagram for engine kill switch
Did you get this resolved? How's the bike otherwise?

1996 KZ1000P

More
27 Apr 2009 16:13 #285794 by pchavez
Yup, thanks for the help. Apparently what had happened was that at some point the kill switch had gotten too hot and a little bit of plastic had melted, breaking the connection. It was always "off". A small screwdriver and a little compressed air and its back.
The rest of the bike is... okay. The engine looks good but I still haven't drained the oil yet (gunna tonight, it looks a little too runny). I think the starter relay had failed so someone, somewhere got creative with wiring to get it running. I put the wires back the way they were supposed to be and the bike fired up once, idled great, but wouldn't start again. No spark.

I'm stripping the bike down and going over it with a multimeter while I wait for parts. I've found strange things like the ignition circuit tied to the break light and splices between the lights, not to mention the custom starter button hooked up to the fairing.

I think the guy was a weekend warrior type who didn't drive it often but when he did he drove it around town with his wife on the back. He wanted a bigger, newer bike. More power to him.