Strobe light

More
02 Apr 2009 05:34 #277634 by chap
Strobe light was created by chap
Hello! I have a 1977 kz 1000 ltd . I have replaced the old ignition with dyna 2000. everything
seems to work ok. But when I hook up the strobe light on cylinder 1 the readings where fine (30 deg btdc)with strong flash from the strobe ,did the same on cylinder 4 and readings was not good(about tdc) with a weak flash comming and going. since cyl 1 and 4 are comming from the same coil i swap the wires,same thing happend.Then I tried to turn the inductiv pick-up side down (the marking towards plug away from the plug) I ve got good readings at cyl four. can anybody explain why?

Sorry my bad english living in Norway

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2009 05:55 #277638 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Strobe light
I just want to say "WELCOME"

Some one will answer your question soon. It is early morning here. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
02 Apr 2009 10:04 #277696 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Strobe light
On one of the cylinders, the spark current goes from the coil to the plug. On the other cylinder, the current goes from plug to coil. (It's just one big current path and that current goes through the engine to complete the circuit.)

Some inductive strobe lights are sensitive to the direction of the current flow. Those usually have an arrow on the pickup device to show which way to attach the pickup, but on the KZ you can't really know (without some testing) so trial and error is probably the best way.