ignition system problems

• chopperoutlaw27
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2009 20:04 - 01 Apr 2009 20:10 #277550 by chopperoutlaw27
ignition system problems was created by chopperoutlaw27
i own a 83 kz750h4 and have been dealing with an intermittent loss of ignition spark. I have built a custom chopper with this as the engine, i will only be running a head light and tail light for accesories. i have maintained stock ignIter , and rectifier with regulator.i have doubts about the igniter failing intermittently . i would like to know what the best avenue is to move forward . the condition of my coils are poor as well so i plan to replace them with new . i see a lot of talk on upgraded ignition systems and coils i AM looking to get this project finished. And would greatly appreciate any advice to point me in the right direction on the best replacement upgraded SIMPLE and effective unit . thank you
Last edit: 01 Apr 2009 20:10 by chopperoutlaw27. Reason: spelling sucks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2009 20:13 #277554 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic ignition system problems
dyna s ignition plate and dyna coils and wires and you will be on the road the soonest it is very hard to diagnos ignition problems with seeing the bike first hand and not knowing any of the bikes history it could something as simple as bad connections or possibly the coils who knows . if you could describe what is happing in a little better detail we might be able to help you more, for instance are you riding along and all the sudden it starts to breakup then quit and if you let it sit for abit it will fire up like nothing is wrong, or does it just shut down like it has no battery voltage. you see where i'm coming from.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• chopperoutlaw27
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2009 20:20 #277557 by chopperoutlaw27
Replied by chopperoutlaw27 on topic ignition system problems
Thanks for the quick reply. This is my first forum post ever so I have no clue wht to expect. All the connections are brand new. Like I said, it's a custom built chopper. I ran a push button for my starter solenoid, no problems there. My charging system has not been operational yet, and I have an intermittent loss of ignition spark. Brand new battery, I maintain stock connectors on igniter, rectifier, and alternator. I would like to purchase an upgraded ignition system to get optimum performance and eliminate potential problems. If I go with a dyna s ignition like you recommend, does that eliminate the pick ups and igniter? If so, then all i need to figure out is the charging system failure.

More
01 Apr 2009 23:51 #277620 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic ignition system problems
if you go with th dyna s it is a self contained unit the triggers are the igniters all in one unit. the only other thing i would recommend getting with it as well would be a drl-300 revlimiter also by dyna. keeps the valves from hitting the pistons if you get overly rambuntious with the throttle.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
02 Apr 2009 13:48 #277745 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic ignition system problems
chopperoutlaw27 wrote:

i own a 83 kz750h4 and have been dealing with an intermittent loss of ignition spark. I have built a custom chopper with this as the engine, i will only be running a head light and tail light for accesories. i have maintained stock ignIter , and rectifier with regulator.i have doubts about the igniter failing intermittently . i would like to know what the best avenue is to move forward . the condition of my coils are poor as well so i plan to replace them with new . i see a lot of talk on upgraded ignition systems and coils i AM looking to get this project finished. And would greatly appreciate any advice to point me in the right direction on the best replacement upgraded SIMPLE and effective unit . thank you

Z1 Enterprises sells OEM replacement (four Ohm) coils for the old Kawis at a very good price. If you have ignition problems, change the coils and points and you should be running again.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Apr 2009 13:53 #277748 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic ignition system problems
bountyhunter wrote:

chopperoutlaw27 wrote:

Z1 Enterprises sells OEM replacement (four Ohm) coils for the old Kawis at a very good price. If you have ignition problems, change the coils and points and you should be running again.

If I'm not mistaken, he has an igniter. That means he needs lower resistance coils (the dwell is only 120 deg versus 180 for points). The stockers should be somewhere around 2.4 ohms. If he gets new 3 ohm coils he can use the stock ignition, or go to the Dyna S.

I would start with new coils anyway, since that's the only thing that ever got me stranded (two coils failed after a rainstorm). I won't go on any trip with 25 year old coils again.

More
03 Apr 2009 14:09 - 03 Apr 2009 14:13 #278112 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic ignition system problems
I am not sure what stock coil impedance was on his bike. I was not aware Ksaki factory put on coils that were as low as 2.4 Ohms in 1983, but maybe so. Using a slightly higher than stock coil impedance usually will work no problem, slightly lower can blow your ignition module up. I'll bet the guys at Z1 will know exactly what kind of coil your bike came stock with.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Apr 2009 14:13 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Apr 2009 15:53 #278154 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic ignition system problems
The kaw factory electronic ignitions had 2.4 ohm (nominal) coils starting in 1980 and possibly earlier. Since he said he has an igniter, that would indicate he has the electronic ignition. :)

If he's considering a possible Dyna S (as was mentioned), then he will want to get 3 ohms coils (as that is the minimum Dyna recommends).