Fix for inop front brake light.

More
30 Mar 2009 10:54 #276758 by coppertales
Fix for inop front brake light. was created by coppertales
I have two 82 KZ1100D bikes that the front brake lever light never worked. This weekend I decided to tackle the project. I removed the seat, tank, and right side cover. I unplugged the wires from the brake switch and checked the switch with an ohm meter. Switch is ok. I then followed the wires from the switch back through the wire harness. The right handlebar controller ends at a 6 pin connector under the gas tank. I unplugged the connector and ohm checked the blue and brown wire to the brake switch. They checked ok. I then unplugged the rear brake switch and ohm checked the blue and brown wires from the 6 pin connector to the pigtales that go to the rear brake switch. The blue wire was ok but the brown wire was open, aka broken. I then cut the brown wire on the front brake swich side of the 6 pin connector and ran a new wire to the brown pigtale that plugs into the rear brake switch. I used a new wire because trying to disassemble the harness while on the bike would be very difficult to do. Anyway, I reconnected everything I had disconnected and turned on the ignition switch. I now have front and rear brake lights. The problem with my other bike was identical so the fix there was easy seeing I knew what to look for. I know the wiring is not the same with all these KZ bikes but it my post may help anyone with this problem get started in the right direction.....chris

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2015 10:03 #668061 by greg9299
Replied by greg9299 on topic Fix for inop front brake light.
Chris: Thanks for the post. I also have an 82 KZ1100D with the same issue. Your solution worked great and saved a lot of time and effort uncovering wiring and routing. Thanks again.

Greg

More
15 Apr 2015 15:15 #668096 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Fix for inop front brake light.
The factory soldering jobs leave a lot to be desired, and are starting to fail on the older bikes. I'd take the time to open up the left and right handlebar switch "Pods", and check the solder joints. If you need, I've got a repair procedure, just ask....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)